PDA

View Full Version : Front panel audio jack is damaged ..... Any ideas ?

linuxyogi
December 9th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hi,

The front panel headphone female part of my PC's cabinet is damaged. Anybody faced this problem ? Any suggestions ?

HermanAB
December 9th, 2014, 05:13 PM
Dude, you need to learn how to wield a soldering iron.

Go to http://sparkfun.com

dry crust
December 9th, 2014, 06:12 PM
As HermanAB says, if you are comfortable using a soldering iron, then replacing it might be an option, especially if the plug isn't directly mounted onto the Motherboard. It might be a bit more tricky if the plug connects directly to the motherboard. But before running down to your electronics store, have you looked at the back of the PC box yet? It may be there is another plug on the back of the PC (my recollection is it will be the same colour as the one on the front). If so, then why not use that? I know the answer to this question is probably "no", but do you have Bluetooth on your PC? What is the audio jack being used for? Say, for example, you like listening to online radio stations, then it may be there is an alternative, such as using a WiFi only tablet to do the same thing. Lastly, how old is the PC? If it is fairly old then maybe you could use this as an excuse to upgrade.

linuxyogi
December 10th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I know how to use a soldering iron but problem is the bay for CD/DVD drives are attached not using screws. They are fixed with with some kind of a pin so getting access to the front panel is almost impossible.

Yes this mainboard like all others has 3 jack on the rear for line out, line in, and mic. I am using the rear line out atm for both my speakers and headphones using a stereo splitter.
But since the cord of the headphone is not that long I don't feel comfortable sitting so close to the screen.

It looks like I have buy a new cabinet.

mörgæs
December 10th, 2014, 10:41 AM
It looks like I have buy a new cabinet.

What about buying an extension cord for the headphones?

linuxyogi
December 11th, 2014, 03:52 PM
What about buying an extension cord for the headphones?

Using extension cord has one big disadvantage. Depending on the length of the cord there is significant amount of signal loss. This becomes more relevant when one uses the sound card's output directly, I mean without any external headphone amp.

I have found a workaround. I have ordered an USB sound card. I have heard that Pulseaudio can handle multiple devices. Even if it cant I wont be using both headphones and speakers at the same time. If I plug in the USB DAC using the front panel USB connectors there will a lot of cord available to sit at a comfortable distance.

CantankRus
December 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Why not just buy some usb headphones?

linuxyogi
December 12th, 2014, 02:57 AM
Why not just buy some usb headphones?

A) Those are rarely available where I live and B) In case of USB headphones I will be buying a headphone and a DAC as a single unit. If one fails I will have to replace both (after the warranty period).