PDA

View Full Version : Some Apps (VLC, Calibre, etc) Windows Fail To Show in 14.04, After Update

easygoing
December 9th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Hi,
I have been using Ubuntu 14.04 quite happily for some time.
Two weeks ago, all of a sudden, the system took several minutes to boot up, and it took longer for mouse cursor to show up.
This is the time that I found that many applications cannot have their windows displayed. For example, I started VLC. I can see a carat in the VLC icon in the task bar, indicating that an instance of VLC is started. But I cannot see the VLC window on my desktop.
I updated my system, un-install and re-install VLC, without any improvement.
I found the same thing with Calibre.
However, terminal, Firefox, and other application works normally.
Is it possible that some system update break VLC, Calibre, and other applications?

ajgreeny
December 9th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Try starting the errant applications in terminal. You will probably get some error messages which you can then ask us about again.

easygoing
December 11th, 2014, 03:19 AM
When I run VLC from command line, I got this:

$ vlc
VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-0-g2a072be)
[0xd34118] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.

It seems normal. Just no application window showing up. The task bar and notification bar looks OK. I can even access the pop-up menu from the top right notification area.

mc4man
December 11th, 2014, 03:41 AM
both vlc & calibre use qt4 in some manner. Is the same true for any other affected app?