PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to make dock panel style in Xubuntu?

flaymond
December 7th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Hello, I'm writing this from Xubuntu live session, I just wanna see the utilities first..but I love dock panel...I don't know how to make it in Xubuntu. Any idea how to do that?

Lars Noodén
December 7th, 2014, 11:43 AM
I would try the package "cairo-dock"

flaymond
December 7th, 2014, 12:34 PM
thanks for that suggestion! ;)

ajgreeny
December 7th, 2014, 04:22 PM
If you don't want to bother installing any packages you can make a second panel at the top, bottom or either side and add launchers to that to make the equivalent of a dock, admittedly without the animations possible in cairo-dock or docky, but still very useful and needing almost no extra resources.

Here's screenshot of mine, on the left hand side a bit like the unity launchbar, using just the standard panel setup in XFCE-4.10; I have it set to autohide to keep as much screen estate available as possible.

If you wonder why I don't therefore just use Ubuntu and unity, it is because I don't like other parts of the unity DE, eg workspace switching is not nearly so convenient for my way of working, and I like to use panels and add many different things which I have not found possible in unity, or not to my liking.

flaymond
December 7th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks aj, I just made a dock-like panel. Thanks! :KS

* Yes, Indeed, I love Ubuntu now...You can customize it as you like. Ubuntu is bigger and I dissapointed with lack of pre-installed softwares and options for themes and customization in it. Lubuntu is lighter, and I'm not expect much from that. Xubuntu is the best distro I tried so far. Here is my new dock-like panel. - http://minus.com/lb2qv5ZKN6gO7z