PDA

View Full Version : GUI list of programs

galmok
December 6th, 2014, 06:02 PM
While I am no newbie with Linux, I don't quite understand how the GUI is supposed to help me. It only lists a few apps and I can't find even the built in apps, such like the software updater. Is it true that there is no gui in Ubuntu anymore that can list installed apps? I found the software update by guessing that it probably had something like "update" in its name, but can't I browse my way to it?

If I cannot, how I am able to find out how to find less used programs, possibly with obscure names I cannot guess?

I found the list of programs using "Ubuntu Software Center" where I with numerous click can open several categories and see what is installed. But I cannot start the programs that way. But this gives me names and then I can click on the "Search your computer and online sources" and type in part of the name and then start the program.

Not exactly userfriendly in my view. I am certain I must have missed something in this GUI but it isn't obvious to me where to look. :-/

Gordonbp531
December 6th, 2014, 06:17 PM
If you want a traditional menu, you can install the Mate desktop.
The Ubuntu desktop has the launch bar, for your frequently-used programs, others you need to click on the Ubuntu button and search.

deadflowr
December 6th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Unity's menu called the dash can show all installed apps alphabetically.
You can access it by either pressing super(the windows key) + A, mouse right click on the top icon in the left side launcher( the dash icon, in 14.04 it'll overlay something about search files and appliations, etc) and se;lect applications, or open the dash menu and navigate the various sections of the dash from the buttons in the bottom area of the dash window (There should be a home a music symbol a video symbol, etc, and one for apps).

In the apps section is a line called Installed apps, toggle that line and then you can scroll all the apps you have, gui-ly.

galmok
December 6th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I found a list of installed programs clicking the upper left "Search..." and then at the very bottom on an icon looking like an A. In there I can find (amongst others) a list of installed apps and I can start them from there. But the icons are extremely huge ruining the overview as I have to scroll a lot just to see the few apps installed. There may be a way to reduce these icons in size or display this as a list, not sure. Also, none of the apps are in any category to make the hunt easier. The category from the software installer would make sense here.

I'll have a look at the Mate desktop. Sounds like this is more to my liking. I made a quick check with the software installer, but I couldn't find Mate. Only an "About MATE" which didn't seem like what I wanted. Any hints on how to find it? Is it supported by Ubuntu or should I expect shortcomings or other unwanted behaviours?

Unity's menu called the dash can show all installed apps alphabetically.
You can access it by either pressing super(the windows key) + A, mouse right click on the top icon in the left side launcher( the dash icon, in 14.04 it'll overlay something about search files and appliations, etc) and se;lect applications, or open the dash menu and navigate the various sections of the dash from the buttons in the bottom area of the dash window (There should be a home a music symbol a video symbol, etc, and one for apps).

In the apps section is a line called Installed apps, toggle that line and then you can scroll all the apps you have, gui-ly.

Appreciated. This helps somewhat. Still not to my liking, though. I like to get a overview of my installed apps and have as many shown on screen as possible. The reason is that I eventually end up with lots installed and can't remember their names. Hence I need an overview to make a visual search for icons and ideas of what the app is called.

vasa1
December 6th, 2014, 06:34 PM
... Is it supported by Ubuntu or should I expect shortcomings or other unwanted behaviours?Many projects are created by volunteers. So I fully expect them to have "shortcomings or other unwanted behaviours".

galmok
December 6th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Many projects are created by volunteers. So I fully expect them to have "shortcomings or other unwanted behaviours".

Certainly. But seeing as you couldn't answer, I did find the answer myself and no, MATE is not supported by Ubuntu.

Let me ask a different way: Is Unity the only supported desktop for Ubuntu (by Ubuntu)?

deadflowr
December 6th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Appreciated. This helps somewhat. Still not to my liking, though. I like to get a overview of my installed apps and have as many shown on screen as possible. The reason is that I eventually end up with lots installed and can't remember their names. Hence I need an overview to make a visual search for icons and ideas of what the app is called.
Depending upon which Ubuntu version you have, you might look at Classic Menu Indicator (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/)

I say depends because I don't know about 14.10, but it does work fine on 12.04, and 14.04.

grahammechanical
December 6th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Unity is the default and, in one sense, the only user interface for Ubuntu. In the same way the Gnome desktop environment is the only DE for Ubuntu. But with the Free and Open Source Software community we are not limited for choice.

Do you seek a different desktop environment? You can try Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome. They are all official flavours of Ubuntu but independently developed. We even have a Ubuntu Mate. The developers of which are in the process of seeking recognition as an official Ubuntu flavour.

Some of these different desktop environments can be installed on to Ubuntu from the Ubuntu Software Centre but they are not developed as being a direct part of Ubuntu. I am of the opinion, that it is always better to install an actual flavour then install a desktop environment over another DE. I base that opinion on meeting all kinds of "shortcomings and unwanted behaviours" when I have in the past installed an alternative desktop over Ubuntu.

We also have some re-spins of Ubuntu where developers have chosen a desktop environment and put with it a specialized set of applications. So, we have Edubuntu, Mythubuntu and Ubuntu Studio.

We benefit from Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). We must also allow the developers the freedom to produce the Linux distribution of their own design. We must also recognise that in any FOSS community influence comes when respect is gained from the community. And respect is gained when merit is achieved through the work of contributing to the community.

There are many applications in the Ubuntu Software Centre that are community supported and are not Ubuntu (Canonical) supported. This is the way things are. The Linux/Ubuntu distribution is not the product of one very large commercial entity.

Regards.

oldfred
December 6th, 2014, 07:34 PM
I prefer gnome-panel or flashback. It is in repository, but I do not think it is directly supported by Ubuntu.

https://wiki.gnome.org/action/show/Projects/GnomeFlashback?action=show&redirect=GnomeFlashback
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/04/ubuntu-14-04-classic-gnome-flashback-session
Flashback/fallback in 14.04 Kansasnoob
Installing the package 'gnome-session-flashback' does exactly the same thing as installing the package 'gnome-panel'.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2220264
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2090021&p=12994477#post12994477
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682&p=12986002#post12986002
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2184682&p=12971487#post12971487
You can reset gnome-panel settings to default:
dconf reset -f /org/gnome/gnome-panel/
http://askubuntu.com/questions/192130/how-to-change-color-and-width-of-non-overlay-scrollbars-in-ubuntu-12-04

galmok
December 6th, 2014, 07:49 PM
By supported I meant exist in the official ubuntu repository. Nothing more. But Unity seems to be the only choice there. This is fair, but in its current state, it doesn't win me over (too cumbersome to use).

Depending upon which Ubuntu version you have, you might look at Classic Menu Indicator (http://www.florian-diesch.de/software/classicmenu-indicator/)

I say depends because I don't know about 14.10, but it does work fine on 12.04, and 14.04.

This looks like a decent compromise. It has a low impact change on the default ubuntu installation and if it fails, the world (desktop) doesn't end with it.

deadflowr
December 6th, 2014, 08:02 PM
By supported I meant exist in the official ubuntu repository. Nothing more. But Unity seems to be the only choice there. This is fair, but in its current state, it doesn't win me over (too cumbersome to use).
Main and Universe are both official repositories.
Main is what Canonical supports and Universe is what the community supports.
Unity is in main, and others are in universe.
The difference is the ones in main are supported by paid employees of canonical, and the ones in universe are supported by community members, who would probably do so, anyway.
In both cases packages are well tested before released to general use, generally.

Gone fishing
December 7th, 2014, 01:42 AM
Attached a sceenshot of classic menu indicator. I like to have it just to quickly see if I have something installed - but I barely use it. I use the dash and type the first few letters of the apps name or use the launcher normally.

The dash is a very powerful search tool for example if I type "spre" it will immedietly find Excel and Libre Office calc

CantankRus
December 7th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Unity was not designed for you to open the dash and visually search a complete list of applications to open, although this can be done.
Put your most used applications on the launcher and use the dash to type and search for others.
You do not always need to know the name, just a key word in it's description will often bring it up.

Type "help" in the dash, give yourself time to adjust to a different way of doing things
and you may find it's actually quite efficient.
Still yearn for the more traditional desktop, install gnome-session-flashback as shown by oldfred.

Geoff_Campbell
December 7th, 2014, 06:15 PM
@galmok -

I share your sentiment - I have been using Ubuntu for years as a server for various processes. Most of my use is from the command line, but sometimes in a GUI environment. I recently bought a new machine and decided to install standard 14.04 - right off I found the lack of a menu very frustrating (like going from Windows 7 to Windows 8).

I found this tutorial:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/alternative

...which will change your system to Xubuntu. I'm now very satisfied. I'm not saying this is for everyone, but it sure brought me back to a "comfort level".

Hope that helps...

llamabr
December 7th, 2014, 11:37 PM
yes, xubuntu (or xfce) has a nice thorough menu that you might like.

Most people probably don't use too many large apps on their computer -- web/email/office suite/music/a few others. So there's really not too much to remember. If you find that there's something you want to do with your computer, you can just ask, and we can point you to the right app. Likewise, if there's an app you like, but can't remember the name, just ask, and we'll help you find it.

zacktu
December 8th, 2014, 01:11 AM
In my experience you don't have to know the exact name of the program. I wanted to get a screen image and didn't remember the name of the tool. I typed snapshot in the dash; it showed me screenshot.

ian-weisser
December 8th, 2014, 02:38 AM
This looks like a decent compromise. It has a low impact change on the default ubuntu installation and if it fails, the world (desktop) doesn't end with it.

I'm really pleased you found a solution that works for you.

I almost wrote that I use XFCE and Unity...but upon reflection, I realize I haven't logged into XFCE in almost four months. I have surprised myself - I use Unity now.

xubu2
December 8th, 2014, 03:25 AM
yes, xubuntu (or xfce) has a nice thorough menu that you might like.

Yes it's the xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin.
This is why i prefer xubuntu over ubuntu.

vasa1
December 8th, 2014, 03:38 AM
The dash is a very powerful search tool for example if I type "spre" it will immediately find Excel and Libre Office calc
I asked about this some years ago. Which database does the Dash look up? Or does it scan .desktop files? Could the Dash launch scripts found in ~/bin?

ian-weisser
December 8th, 2014, 04:05 AM
Which database does the Dash look up?

Dash searches of recently-used applications and files comes from Zeitgeist (provided in 14.10 by the libzeitgeist-2.0-0 package)

Description-en: library to access Zeitgeist - shared library
Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user's activities and events (files
opened, websites visited, conversations hold with other people, etc.) and
makes the relevant information available to other applications.
It serves as a comprehensive activity log and also makes it possible to
determine relationships between items based on usage patterns.
Libzeitgeist is a client library to access and manage the Zeitgeist event
log from languages such as C and Vala.
This package contains shared libraries to be used by applications.

Dash searches of other data sources come, of course, from the appropriate Scope.

ian-weisser
December 8th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Which database does the Dash look up?

Dash searches of recently-used applications and files comes from Zeitgeist (provided in 14.10 by the libzeitgeist-2.0-0 package)

Description-en: library to access Zeitgeist - shared library
Zeitgeist is a service which logs the user's activities and events (files
opened, websites visited, conversations hold with other people, etc.) and
makes the relevant information available to other applications.
It serves as a comprehensive activity log and also makes it possible to
determine relationships between items based on usage patterns.
Libzeitgeist is a client library to access and manage the Zeitgeist event
log from languages such as C and Vala.
This package contains shared libraries to be used by applications.

Dash searches of other data sources come, of course, from the appropriate Scope.

CantankRus
December 8th, 2014, 05:05 AM
The dash also uses locate to find files not logged by zeitgeist.
The Keywords and Comments of desktop files are also used.
eg gedit.desktop

[Desktop Entry]
Name=gedit
GenericName=Text Editor
Comment=Edit text files
Exec=gedit %U
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=text/plain;
Icon=accessories-text-editor
Categories=GNOME;GTK;Utility;TextEditor;
X-GNOME-DocPath=gedit/gedit.xml
X-GNOME-FullName=Text Editor
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=gedit
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Version=3.10.4
X-GNOME-Bugzilla-ExtraInfoScript=/usr/share/gedit/gedit-bugreport
Actions=Window;Document;
Keywords=Text;Editor;Plaintext;Write;
X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=gedit

Paulgirardin
December 8th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Super + A will open the dash applications scope and that can be maximimised to fill the screen.What more does one need?

To call Unity cumbersome is merely to state that it's function is not understood.
It is not necessary to know the name of an application.Just enter a word related to the desired task.
e.g. photo will bring up all image related applications that are installed.

vasa1
December 9th, 2014, 03:01 AM
Thanks for explaining how the Dash works. To summarize my understanding:
for local results, it looks up the zeitgeist (semantic search engine?) database, the locate database, and the Name, Exec, Keyword and Comments of .desktop files
for external results it will refer to the corresponding scope.