PDA

View Full Version : The open-source software Stephen Hawking says changed his life.

Linuxratty
December 3rd, 2014, 12:39 PM
It is things like this that are going to get even more people to wake up and take notice of foss. This is outstanding!

Much of that software that drives Hawking's new system will be released to the world under an open source licence in January next year, allowing other disabled people to benefit from and build on top of the system.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-a-software-upgrade-is-giving-professor-stephen-hawking-a-new-lease-of-life/

mastablasta
December 3rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
looks like he is using Windows 7 or maybe 8 :-/

/ADM
December 3rd, 2014, 09:01 PM
So this software will help others. As long as they are running Windows.

And I thought Intel was a Linux supporter.

Habitual
December 3rd, 2014, 09:12 PM
looks like he is using Windows 7 or maybe 8 :-/

Naw, his is Windows 7² or 8²

QIII
December 3rd, 2014, 09:20 PM
In the end, I don't personally care what OS, or whether is is proprietary or open source.

What matters is if it works and if it is shared. Open source is simply a means of sharing. It does, however, have the benefit of configuring to another's needs.

This isn't about OS or open source. It's about what can be done with technology to improve the lot of anyone who can benefit.

Revelling in "yay! Open source" misses the point.

Just one man's opinion.

coldcritter64
December 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM
In the end, I don't personally care what OS, or whether is is proprietary or open source. +1.

What matters is if it works and if it is shared. This is the important bit alright.

Open source is simply a means of sharing.It does, however, have the benefit of configuring to another's needs.:shock: ... Whoa !
Note, the bolded word "simply"... this statement is a serious over-simplification of closed vs open source.
Open source is far more than having the "benefit of configuring to another's needs" but in some circumstances having the "benefit of further developing the software to suit another users needs" may be needed as well.

Irrespective of "sharing", which closed source "shareware" definitely counts as, open source allows further development.

To quote the article specifically
... allowing other disabled people to benefit from and build on top of the system. which is also a very important and not usually permissible with closed source "shareware" (I am likely one of the "few people" who ALWAYS read ... note use "past tense" with the word "read"... MS EULAs ;)).

Revelling in "yay! Open source" misses the point. Again, +1.
But minimizing the status of "Open source" to "simply a means of sharing" also misses an extremely important point, maybe even the one that got Intel to open source the software in the first place (allowing further development of existing code maybe ? This would work in the favour of the disabled rather than some corporation that can in future lock down further development with restrictive licensing).

The toolkit will be available under an open-source licence from January next year, with the SwiftKey prediction engine replaced by an open-source alternative.
Any open source licensing that allows further development would suit imo; I am not a "GPL zealot" after all is said here. I would definitely applaud Intel openly for open sourcing this software.

Further improvements suitable for helping disabled to communicate is a field I'd rather not see getting locked down by licensing, ultimately to suit some corporations profit margins.

Just one man's opinion. Here as well ...

Regards, coldcritter64.

QIII
December 4th, 2014, 02:30 AM
Didn't mean for anyone to get wrapped around the axle with regard to a larger picture of open source. :)

coldcritter64
December 4th, 2014, 02:32 AM
Didn't mean for anyone to get wrapped around the axle with regard to a larger picture of open source. :)

Nah, just "bounced off the bull bar" :lol: All good now I've brushed off the dust. ;)

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 4th, 2014, 09:43 PM
I applaud the people trying to help.

My mother died 25 years ago from the same disease Stephen Hawking has. My father made things from wood to make her life easier. When I was an engineer; before retiring, I always wanted to design something to help people.