PDA

View Full Version : Not able to change desktop wallpaper 14.04

Evan I S
December 2nd, 2014, 02:01 PM
Greeting!

As titled I have an issue in changing desktop wallpaper. Followings are I have tried but no success.

#Try with command line
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file:///home/serrano/Pictures/y.jpg
http://askubuntu.com/questions/66914/how-to-change-desktop-background-from-command-line-in-unity

#Try with app called "Wallch"
http://melloristudio.com/wallch/

#Try reinstall ubuntu desktop

sudo apt-get install --reinstall ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get update

What else I should try to get it done? I look forward to hearing from you!

Hansiman
December 2nd, 2014, 02:13 PM
Are you certain that your file-path is correct? Could you copy in the exact phrase you use?

Evan I S
December 2nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
@Hansiman Yes the path is alright! Matter is making no effect when applying to change the wallpaper. Simply right click on a png file from the pop up menu I chose " set as desktop background ". Does not work. I believe something to do with system setting. May something have been corrupted.

grahammechanical
December 2nd, 2014, 02:28 PM
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file:///home/serrano/Pictures/y.jpg

That is not the correct command for you. That was the correct command for the person that gave the answer on AskUbuntu. HIs/her user name is "serrano."

You need to have an image in the Pictures folder. Which is in your /home/username folder.

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri file:///home/UserName/Pictures/ChoosenImage.jpg

You must substitute UserName for your user name and substitute ChoosenImage for the name of the image that you want to make the desktop background.

But I am sure that if we put an Image in the Pictures folder and then use System Settings>Appearance and click on the panel that says Wallpapers and change it to Pictures Folder, then any images in the Pictures Folder will be available to select as a desktop background.

If we want to create a background slide show of our own images then we use something like Wallch.

Ubuntu Desktop Guide (Help) under the heading Change the Desktop Background

Select the Pictures folder to use one of your own photos from your Pictures folder. Most photo management applications store photos there.

Regards.

Evan I S
December 2nd, 2014, 02:34 PM
@grahammechanical Thank you for your reply.
1. Yes I did according to path my picture stored folder. I am using Firefox as file explorer so I am familiar with the command file://.
2. System Settings>Appearance and click on a picture I want to set as desktop wallpaper does not make effect. I remember by click on the photos immediately background changes. But now doesn't
3. Wallch I tried in a hope of switch on the function I lost. But doesn't help.
I suspect that accidentally the function disabled I try to find with dconf editor under gnome such menu but I could not find any related.

Hansiman
December 2nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
Do you currently have a wallpaper now, or is your background just black or white?

Evan I S
December 2nd, 2014, 02:42 PM
@Hansiman I have it the one originally equipped.

buzzingrobot
December 2nd, 2014, 03:17 PM
Have you log out and in? I've noticed that new wallpaper is sometimes not applied unless I do that.

Evan I S
December 2nd, 2014, 03:26 PM
@buzzingrobot I have been had this issue for few weeks. During that time I did multiple times of rebooting and log out and in :-)

buzzingrobot
December 2nd, 2014, 05:30 PM
Hmmm. What are the permissions on the files? I just checked here. If I remove Read permissions on a file, it won't be set as the background. Permissions on image files here look like this:
-rw-r--r--