PDA

View Full Version : The New Look of My Page

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 01:34 AM
I'm very happy since I just finished the layout to my Kubuntu Help page. A couple of days ago it had only a simple layout which didn't fit all the resolutions. So since yesterday I've been working hard after I found a HTML Tables tutorial so now it looks perfect on every resolution. It was pretty damn hard to put all the borders by filling table rows and columns but here it is and I'm very glad. Still a beginner to HTMl but anyway this was done completely in text mode in Kate. I even introduced a Firefox banner and added some more how-tos. Here: http://86.104.196.200/home.html

So... what do you all think?

jISh
July 30th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Looks nice; clean and simple. Keep up the good work!

Jucato
July 30th, 2006, 03:33 AM
Cool new look! Although the empty left side bar is a bit eerie. :D

Anyway, any luck in getting a domain name for the site?

cstudent
July 30th, 2006, 05:08 AM
Very nicely done.=D>

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Anyway, any luck in getting a domain name for the site?[/quote/
At the moment I'm short of money. I checked out some free web hosting services but they put advertises and it looks like crap. I guess it'll run for a while like this, my computer runs non-stop anyway.

Thanks for encouragements, again.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2006, 10:28 AM
I like the layout, very pro.

The blue background texture is a bit old fashioned though...some more web 2.0 goodness would be great.

Still, good work!

Jucato
July 30th, 2006, 10:35 AM
@Christmas: You might be interested in this offer from benplaut (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1309359&postcount=87), although he's offering to host blogs. Maybe you could make some sort of arrangement with him.

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks I will take that offer in consideration. However now I don't really think that the hosting is such a big problem, I'm more preoccupied with the documentation itself and learning new things so I can really make it a Kubuntu oriented page.

LE:

Although the empty left side bar is a bit eerie.
Yes I find it that way too, I was thinking of putting there links somehow like this:

HOME
SCRIPTS
HOW-TOs
TUTORIALS
TIPS & TRICKS
LINKS
ABOUT

But at the moment there are only a few so the links would point to (almost) empty pages. I'll see what I can do about that, I'm also thinking of adding more graphic, some Kubuntu logos and artwork.

I like the layout, very pro.

The blue background texture is a bit old fashioned though...some more web 2.0 goodness would be great.

Still, good work!
Thanks, great appreciations which make me very determined. About the blue background... unfortunately I'm anti-talent when it comes to painting or stuff like this, I once tried to make some buttons (back when I was using Windows) with Paint Shop Pro and they looked very ugly. I'll do my best and make some good backgrounds, I'll probably use one of the plenty wallpapers and artwork at kde-look.org. One nice example that I liked (including the background) is Slakware's site, simple and clean. I thought something like that including some nicely graphics would be just great.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks I will take that offer in consideration. However now I don't really think that the hosting is such a big problem, I'm more preoccupied with the documentation itself and learning new things so I can really make it a Kubuntu oriented page.
It would be easier to remember a name like www.kubuntuhelp.org than one which begins with an ip address..

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I saw that domains .ro (which is my country) are about 60 USD and I was thinking of www.floydian.ro. I don't know how much .org or .net or .com costs, but at the moment I'm short of money so I can't even buy even the romanian one. I'll see what I can do with it, your suggestion sounds just great and it's not taken.

Jucato
July 30th, 2006, 11:07 AM
But at the moment there are only a few so the links would point to (almost) empty pages. I'll see what I can do about that, I'm also thinking of adding more graphic, some Kubuntu logos and artwork.

In the mean time that you don't have that much links yet, you could just put the links that you already have at the left side, then just add some temporary fillers, like a logo, some useful links (Kubuntu site, the Kubuntu and Ubuntu forums, etc.). It's better to see something there than nothing at all. Too much whitespace is bad space, IMHO.

The background picture has a sort of "fabric" feeling to it, which might not be appropriate for a Linux-centric website. I might have a possible alternative to that. Look into your Kubuntu filesystem for this: /usr/share/apps/konqueror/tiles/bluemorning.png

Lord Illidan is right. A domain/sub-domain name is important. At least a temporary one would do. There are lots of free redirecting services around. But I wouldn't go with those .tk services which take you first to an advertisement page.

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I'll see what I can do with the domain. It's nice to see such determination in helping me, I enjoy all the feedback and learning new things.

I like the background too, maybe I'll combine that one and kde4ever.png which I use as the background in Konqueror, I was going to test some today anyway.

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM
I changed it and it looks indeed better IMO. Take a look at this screenshot:
I applied the blur filter to kdemorning because the horizontal lines made the text be hard to read.

Jucato
July 30th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Yeah the backgrounds look a lot better now.

Now for the side panel... :D

Nice job! Keep it up. We're in need of good Kubuntu guides.

jc87
July 30th, 2006, 02:46 PM
When i did a w3c validation :

Failed validation, 4 errors Link (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2F86.104.196.200%2Fhome.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&outline=1&sp=1&noatt=1&No200=1&verbose=1)

But in the other hand:

Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/4.4.2-1build1

So all is forgiven:rolleyes:

Christmas
July 30th, 2006, 02:56 PM
When i did a w3c validation :

Failed validation, 4 errors Link (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2F86.104.196.200%2Fhome.html&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&ss=1&outline=1&sp=1&noatt=1&No200=1&verbose=1)

But in the other hand:

Server: Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu) PHP/4.4.2-1build1

So all is forgiven:rolleyes:
Well I've done it using this tutorial: http://www.echoecho.com/html.htm. The errors that validator gives are minor. One of them tells me not to include the "nowrap" tag in the table properties, however some things only work well with this. I'm sure that what I've done could be done in other ways, but at the moment I don't know enough HTML, so if I'd have to take from functionality just to have a "standard-validated" page well no thanks. I guess it's not such a big deal, after all it works.

Lord Illidan
July 30th, 2006, 02:58 PM

LE:

Yes I find it that way too, I was thinking of putting there links somehow like this:

Thanks, great appreciations which make me very determined. About the blue background... unfortunately I'm anti-talent when it comes to painting or stuff like this, I once tried to make some buttons (back when I was using Windows) with Paint Shop Pro and they looked very ugly. I'll do my best and make some good backgrounds, I'll probably use one of the plenty wallpapers and artwork at kde-look.org. One nice example that I liked (including the background) is Slakware's site, simple and clean. I thought something like that including some nicely graphics would be just great.

Regarding the background, sometimes no background, just plain white, is best. Experiment a bit with css and the like.
Also, consider using a vector imaging program to create your buttons, like inkscape.