PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Install hangs

russell11
December 2nd, 2014, 04:22 AM
I tried to install dropbox but it hangs in the installation process. I can't install anything else while this is going on. I have rebooted several times. I tried ps ax | grep dpkg and then sudo kill <number> and when I do apt-get update it says that the dpkg was interrupted and to so dpkg --configure -a but that just then tries to do the install again in the terminal but once again stalls after the download. I have tried to uninstall dropbox but can't do that either. I tried sudo apt-get remove dropbox but it again tells me to do the --configure -a. So I seem to be chasing my tail here.
Any help would be very much appreciated!

Russty.

russell11
December 2nd, 2014, 06:21 AM
I think I have fixed it! (fingers X'd)
I tried to install Synaptic package manager and as before it wouldn't install, so I used the terminal commands as I mentioned previously to identify and kill the dropbox install and everytime I did this the Synaptic install continued, so after several kills of dropbox, Synaptic finally was installed. Then I was able to use Synaptic to remove dropbox and all appears to be working perfectly. The dropbox stalled install was constantly using 100% CPU. I still don't know WHY it was a problem though!!

Russty.