PDA

View Full Version : Indian "Windows licencing" scammers caught on camera

macbreak
December 1st, 2014, 09:54 PM
So those rogue Indian scammers called me today, trying to get my "CLSID" and my phone number, in a poor attempt to try to socially engineer me to cut a hole through my Windows security so they could - for whatever reasons - access my PC. I am no mug, thankfully - I politely and calmly asked the caller to hold a second, and I started recording it all on my Moto G... so here is the whole call... ha ha ha... :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDi0sfzCDgw

Habitual
December 1st, 2014, 11:03 PM
I love stringing them along.

Bucky Ball
December 1st, 2014, 11:10 PM
Love it. The 'I am a Linux engineer' didn't get him the first time. Kneejerk reaction once the penny dropped, though. Thanks for sharing. ;)

QIII
December 1st, 2014, 11:41 PM
Coffee through nose on keyboard, ROFL!

macbreak
December 2nd, 2014, 12:20 AM
Amusement and smiles go mile and miles :D

So glad you enjoy this. I aim to actively engage them and have them call me regularly, where I'll make sure to record more of their gibberings, and keep them occupied, which helps other (innocent) people not get scammed. Next time I won't mention the "L" word :p

I love how these people make up words and mis-prounce phrases... "Are you computer ingenio?" ... I value the perceived compliment, I am indeed "ingenio" if you say so... and I think he meant "engineer" but I'll take "ingenio" and stick with it - it sounds better :D

LMAO

Linuxratty
December 3rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
This is great! I love it when people mess with these criminals heads!

coldraven
December 3rd, 2014, 04:51 PM
I was called from India yesterday asking about "the car crash that I had two years ago". (I never did crash my car) When I asked him for the registration of the car he refused because "It is part of the investigation!". I was not in the right mood to string him along and cannot repeat here where I told him to go.
I can only presume that if I were to give my bank details then I would have received compensation. NOT!

But top marks to you, keep up the good work :)

seabird22
December 3rd, 2014, 05:42 PM
You should report the incident to Microsoft. They have a special department to deal with those type of people.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
December 3rd, 2014, 06:12 PM
i manged to string one along got him to go through his list of remote desktop apps till he got to the one i wanted him to use
i got him stumped and he went to go get help cause he could not find what he wanted in the xubuntu virtual-box
i tried to record it but ended up recording my wallpaper under my virtualbox window
i even made the wallpaper a trollface and they did not realize i was playing them

Elfy
December 3rd, 2014, 06:25 PM
I just put the phone down after saying I needed to do a few things - carried on with what I was doing - picked the phone up every now and again to make sure they were still there, after about 45 minutes asked why I couldn't find the start button - was it because I wasn't using Windows ...

While they were listening to me typing - they weren't on the phone to Mr Gullible.

/ADM
December 3rd, 2014, 09:07 PM
What if you answered that you don't use Windows?

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 4th, 2014, 10:37 PM
It seems that other people get all the fun. I don't get the chance to waist their time; because, they don't call me. :(

macbreak
December 5th, 2014, 03:34 AM
What if you answered that you don't use Windows?

Well that's no fun; didn't you hear what happened when I said "I'm a Linux engineer"? They hang up.

ventrical
December 5th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Amusement and smiles go mile and miles :D

So glad you enjoy this. I aim to actively engage them and have them call me regularly, where I'll make sure to record more of their gibberings, and keep them occupied, which helps other (innocent) people not get scammed. Next time I won't mention the "L" word :p

I love how these people make up words and mis-prounce phrases... "Are you computer ingenio?" ... I value the perceived compliment, I am indeed "ingenio" if you say so... and I think he meant "engineer" but I'll take "ingenio" and stick with it - it sounds better :D

LMAO

:)

I posted a thread about that up here somewhere. :) I take them all the way .. (even have a Windows 7 box just for them) :)... then they try to point out a scrolling log where there are kernel conflicts .. etc.. then I tell them that I just got an alert that told me that their network is infected ... then they get nasty .. then I tell them that I am inside their computer .... then they get really nasty. After a while it gets boring.. One time I was trying to get their IP . They will not give you a web-adress (Tech Ninja out of Arizona of all things).. and so When I asked them how much to fix my computer they said $75 dollars. I said "Do you think I am nuts?" and they said "Yes .. we think you are nuts!" .. so they knew I was waiting for them. bwhahahahaha.. :) Really sad these people ... Now I just tell them that Windows *IS* malware ... so they haven't called in .. like ages now..

Knock on Gorilla glass ! :)

ventrical
December 5th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Well that's no fun; didn't you hear what happened when I said "I'm a Linux engineer"? They hang up.

Yep .. the idea is that you want to extract some extra info (if you have the extra time for fun) so you can find a locale or get an IP etc.. and then have some fun. :)

kpatz
December 5th, 2014, 07:39 PM
Nice. Just last night I fixed someone's computer who fell for these thugs. They somehow encrypted the registry so Windows wouldn't boot without a password. I booted a live Linux Mint CD I had kicking around, mounted the Windows partition, copied a registry backup from a few days ago over the encrypted registry files, unmounted, and booted Windows, and we were back in business. Sort of a "system restore" done in Linux.

I see these calls hit my landline once in a while but one of my Ubuntu boxes blocks the calls automagically with a "This number has been disconnected" message. :) Maybe I should let the next one through and have some fun with them with an Ubuntu VM. Watch them stumble around in Unity looking for the start button.

ventrical
December 5th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Nice. Just last night I fixed someone's computer who fell for these thugs. They somehow encrypted the registry so Windows wouldn't boot without a password. I booted a live Linux Mint CD I had kicking around, mounted the Windows partition, copied a registry backup from a few days ago over the encrypted registry files, unmounted, and booted Windows, and we were back in business. Sort of a "system restore" done in Linux.

I see these calls hit my landline once in a while but one of my Ubuntu boxes blocks the calls automagically with a "This number has been disconnected" message. :) Maybe I should let the next one through and have some fun with them with an Ubuntu VM. Watch them stumble around in Unity looking for the start button.

:) ... and get an IP and then .. er umm an ECM :) lol

http://www.techninjas.com/