PDA

View Full Version : GRUB_DEFAULT option not respected

ronniepinsky
December 1st, 2014, 02:04 AM
What I want to do:

Boot a non-default kernel that is contained within the submenu at the number 3 position in numerical index fashion.

What I have tried:

0>3

1>3

2>3

"0>3"

"1>3"

"2>3"

0>2

1>2

2>2

"0>2"

"1>2"

"2>2"

The result:
The latest kernel always boots.

Things I won't be doing:

1. Specifying the GRUB_DEFAULT options in textual non-index fashion

2. Disabling grub submenus

3. Removing any installed kernels

4. Admitting defeat and working around the problem in any other way

I want this to work because it is supposed to work in this way and there are countless tutorials about doing it this way. I have now spent all the time I possibly can on this right now and I have failed and all I will be thinking about is how much I've failed at something so simple. Fundamentally, I refuse to continue or workaround this supposedly very simple problem until it is resolved.

I am so upset about this I cannot even think straight. More hours of life wasted learning nothing at all, just failing.

I also feel that this situation is a failing as a whole of the community. Whether I am doing this right or wrong, it demonstrates failures in documentation, troubleshooting it introduces unnecessary tedium, and the config file makes use of programming-related "special characters" inside of what is supposed to be a plain text file that is easy to read. This has turned a routine system administration task into yet another multi hours long nightmare.

grahammechanical
December 1st, 2014, 02:44 AM
Are you willing to try?

sudo update-grub

We need to run that command after doing any editing of the Grub configuration files. It re-writes the main Grub configuration file using the other Grub files, one of which we may have edited?

Documentation? Go to the source.

https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/

From grub.cfg

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
#
# It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
# from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub

From /etc/default/grub

# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

By the way, update-grub is a script that runs grub-mkconfig.

Regards.