PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] upgrade process locked

bill9
November 30th, 2014, 01:03 PM
my server has ubuntu 12.04 and since past 2 months or so won't update, won't partial update. tried ps-A|grepapt-get sudo apt-get update etc etc etc and result is always cannot lock /var/lib/apt...
so now after wasting many hours, i'll happily pay somebody to come by and fix it. on the north circular, near phoenix park. anybody interested?
bill

sudodus
November 30th, 2014, 01:14 PM
I'm too far away for hands on help, but I have some tips, that you can try.

1. Reboot and try apt-get again. Maybe the locking will work as intended after a reboot (old Windows trick, yes I know, but it might work).

2. Try the commands in the following list, originally posted by oldfred, who has a lot of experience. Remember to use sudo, and run each of the commands each time, maybe even repeat them.

#houseclean
apt-get autoclean # only removes files that cannot be downloaded anymore (obsolete)
apt-get clean

#refresh
apt-get update #resync package index
apt-get upgrade #newest versions of all packages, update must be run first

#would upgrade you to the latest kernel in the repositories
#dist-upgrade is also able to remove existing packages if required
apt-get dist-upgrade

# fix Broken packages -f
sudo apt-get -f install
dpkg --configure -a

Finally, if you get some other error output, please post it in a reply!

Good luck :-)

tgalati4
November 30th, 2014, 04:15 PM
The presence of a lock file usually means you have a stuck upgrade process; so you need to delete it and start again. This also happens on the desktop version--if you try running synaptic and then try running sudo apt-get update in the terminal at the same time. Only one update process can happen at a time, hence the lock file.

bill9
November 30th, 2014, 06:18 PM
@tgalati4
Hi, as I just posted to sudodus, I can't even install synaptic. I'm stuck, completely and that is putting it politely
Bill

oldfred
November 30th, 2014, 06:22 PM
If you are absolutely sure you do not have another upgrade process running.

Locked dpkg - only if sure you are not running another update.
sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock
sudo dpkg --configure -a

bill9
November 30th, 2014, 06:40 PM
@oldfred
ok, your suggestion did something. after entering the command, it gave me a multiple choice confirmation question about nautilus so i picked yes as the cowards way out - i had sweat running down my face when i hit the enter key. then i rebooted and opened up ubuntu software center. now there is NO progress meter. so it looks like the blockage is gone. but now i'm afraid to do anything in case i destroy the system. everything has to be ok for the office tomorrow morning. should i leave it alone and wait until next weekend or do you think i could try checking for an update?
many thanks, Bill

oldfred
November 30th, 2014, 07:20 PM
I try to have good backups before major changes.

And I would swear system knows if you did backups. If you do have current backups then you do not have issues. But the one time you are in a hurry and do not have backup, then it destroys system.

I would try:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic

That then only installs one package and we can see if it works, without trying to do all the updates in the queue.

bill9
November 30th, 2014, 07:31 PM
thanks. many, many thanks. wish i could return the help
bill