PDA

View Full Version : No Launcher or task bar after upgrade

ross-mclelland
November 28th, 2014, 10:52 PM
Hi all,
First of all - sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place- there were a couple of applicable headings.

I've done a daft thing. I was going along quite happily in a lovely working version 14.04 with no major problems. I had installed the AMD Catalyst drivers for my graphics card and everything was good for a long time. (Like a week or two since I built the system).
Yesterday I got a nice message about updates being available and clicked to upgrade without looking at all the packages etc.
Since then everything is gubbed :-(
Well not really everything.
Lightdm starts fine and when I log in with my username I am presented with a blank desktop. I can't bring up a terminal from it and there is no launcher/dash or task bar along the top - so I think Unity is somehow broken.
I can access tty with CTRL-ALT-F1 and can run commands from there.
I have been busy googling looking for solutions and have tried a few different things.
Firstly, I tried installing unity tweak tool and resetting unity that way. Didn't work.
I've installed ccsm and re-enabled the Unitry plugin. No luck.
I've tried uninstalling my graphics drivers and reverting to the original Xorg.conf file but nothing makes any difference. I'm at a loss.

I've been using Ubuntu for years - but I am very much a user and not an expert. My command line knowledge is limited and a lot of what I've tried has been copied and pasted from these forums.
Does anyone have any idea what caused this or what I can check? Prior to the upgrade everything was running beautifully. sob.

Any help would be appreciated - sorry if I've not given enough to go on, but just ask (and maybe tell me how to find the details you need:-))