PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_studio] Can't boot after installing Ubuntu Studio 14.04

hreichgott
November 28th, 2014, 01:08 AM
Hello,
I installed Ubuntu Studio 14.04 from a Live CD.

I have two partitions on my hard drive. One was already Ubuntu Studio 14.04 but update manager was giving me errors about packages being incompletely installed, and other weird things were happening, so I decided to do a reinstall. The other partition has Ubuntu 11.04 as a backup.

After install, I got the boot menu, chose 14.04, then got a black screen with an X-shaped mouse pointer.
I rebooted (using the power key), got the boot menu, got as far as the Ubuntu login screen, then nothing happened after I logged in -- the password dialog disappeared, the Ubuntu Studio 14.04 wallpaper and logo remained, nothing else happened.
Further reboots resulted in one or the other of these results.
Then I tried booting into the 11.04 partition, which went fine.
Then I went back and tried booting into 14.04 again, got the login screen, logged in then nothing happened.
Then I tried another reboot but this time did not even get the boot menu, just a message that boot failed.
All further attempts at booting result in "boot failed."

I can boot from the live CD.

Does anyone have suggestions? Did my hard drive just happen to die?
(Crashes on login were one of the weird things that were happening before reinstall.)

Also, any hints on how to boot into live CD then get files off the hard drive? I copied essential files into both Ubuntu partitions.

hreichgott
November 28th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Turned out the hard drive was completely full! Managed to boot into 11.04 partition then deleted a bunch of large files and all is well. I can now boot into both partitions.