PDA

View Full Version : Failure with the make command

theDentist
July 29th, 2006, 11:11 PM
Hi all,
I'm not new to programming but I am new to linux programming. I have been trying to use Glade but cannot make an executable file. The "make" command doesn't seem to be recognised by the bash terminal,(nor is it recognised ever, whatever I use it for!!). Because of this I never get to the "make install" command. Could someone tell me how to get to the executable file. :-x

Peter

ifokkema
July 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Hi all,
I'm not new to programming but I am new to linux programming. I have been trying to use Glade but cannot make an executable file. The "make" command doesn't seem to be recognised by the bash terminal,(nor is it recognised ever, whatever I use it for!!). Because of this I never get to the "make install" command. Could someone tell me how to get to the executable file. :-x

Peter
You're missing the 'make' program. Install the basic compiling stuff you need:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

theDentist
July 30th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the advice. just done it install OK

Peter

theDentist
July 30th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Hi again,

I seem to have another problem, I am using Ubuntu 6.06 which I have found to be the best of all I've tried by the way, I'm having a problem to login as root. I am at this moment trying to update glib by installing 2.12.1 version. I've got to the last stage "make install" which I need to be logged in as root. How do I do this from the bash terminal??. In fact how do I log in as root at the boot up, with other distros you type "root" and you password. This doesn't work. I am the only user. When I'm in gnome, and want to do something which needs root login, it askes me and I just type the password in and it's OK. But how do I get into root permnantly, From boot up and also from the terminal??? :(

Peter

xtacocorex
July 30th, 2006, 03:18 PM
For compiling I do:

./configure --prefix=/usr && make && sudo "make install" && make clean

That one line will build the entire source.

Hope this helps.

ifokkema
July 30th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Hi again,

I seem to have another problem, I am using Ubuntu 6.06 which I have found to be the best of all I've tried by the way, I'm having a problem to login as root. I am at this moment trying to update glib by installing 2.12.1 version. I've got to the last stage "make install" which I need to be logged in as root. How do I do this from the bash terminal??. In fact how do I log in as root at the boot up, with other distros you type "root" and you password. This doesn't work. I am the only user. When I'm in gnome, and want to do something which needs root login, it askes me and I just type the password in and it's OK. But how do I get into root permnantly, From boot up and also from the terminal??? :(

Peter
Ubuntu is slightly different using the root account. Are you familiar with the 'sudo' command? It allows you to run commands as root, using your password.

sudo make install
is what you're looking for. It'll run 'make install' as root.

If you really want to have a root terminal, use:

sudo su -

Have fun!

theDentist
July 30th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Peter