PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cell phone do you use, and why?

help_me2
November 27th, 2014, 07:06 AM
I have a Nexus 5 and love it because it uses "pure android" (without skins), is fast as heck (Lollipop has been awesome for me), is 5", (which to me is the perfect size), was relatively cheap, ($290), and linux based. I still use my desktop pc more for serious stuff, but my sexy nexy is my lifeline when I'm out and about.

You?

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 07:12 AM
I'm using BlackBerry. Why, because it's secure. I also got an old Android mobile (4.4 ver.) for gaming and programming Python (using it when I'm not using pc). But mostly, I use Android more than BlackBerry to testing bugs and exploring.

Matthew_Harrop
November 27th, 2014, 12:24 PM
A Nokia Windows phone 7.5
Best phone i've ever had

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 12:27 PM
When it comes to Windows phone, I actually will put in the trash can. (in reality, who gonna do that?)

Bert_Tram
November 27th, 2014, 01:01 PM
I'm using a Sony Ericson Xperia X10i smartphone. Mostly using it as a phone. But sometimes I read some Internet sites on it. Reason why I use this model is I got it from a friend of mine as second-hand phone. It was quite cheep.
But I would say it has all features which I currently need. For serious stuff I use my desktop pc because I love the real keyboard of the pc. The phone has only such a software keyboard.

d-cosner
November 27th, 2014, 01:24 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note, it's kind of big! My wife thought I needed the larger screen to be able to have text bigger after my last eye operation. It's not a bad phone but it runs an older version of Android and it is kind of hard to fit in a pocket but my wife meant well. The phone does have a great speaker because of it's size and it's a lot like having a small tablet.

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 01:44 PM
At least, it's still using Linux as the operating system.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 27th, 2014, 01:45 PM
none, i hate phones and i am too stingy to get one

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I hate it too, since Computers can do what phone can't do. Except, computers can't fit in our pockets. :)

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 27th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I hate it too, since Computers can do what phone can't do. Except, computers can't fit in our pockets. :)
on really, this one begs to differ
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/13-142-003-TS?$S300$

stalkingwolf
November 27th, 2014, 04:35 PM
net 10 LG mark one mod zero. its a phone. I already have 7 computers.

user1397
November 27th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I also have a nexus 5. I don't do social media, but apart from phone/texting I do browse the web a lot on it (and youtube a lot) so I justify having it instead of a basic phone. I am running vanilla lollipop 5.0 on it right now (I'm kinda done with rooting/customizing android, just don't care anymore). I do like how much faster 5.0 seems to be compared to previous versions.

Like others have mentioned, I also like doing most of my computing on a regular computer (in my case a laptop) because I am too used to keyboards/mouse/trackpad and how much more you can do on a computer compared to a phone.

flaymond
November 28th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Is that Motherboard component? :-s

flaymond
November 28th, 2014, 11:56 AM
I don't care about mobile phones because I can't do much on it except than browsing web and tyring Android games. ( lollipop vanilla is a new version of Jellybean 4.4? )

sotiris2
November 28th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Got a galaxy s advance a 200€ smartphone almost 2 years now. Was in the army (conscript) and wanted something to view movies, series, read e-books etc. Could of got a tablet but i preferred something more discreet (it's 4-inch). Still use it for checking stuff on the net on the go (though I avoid leisurely browsing, screen is too small to be really comfortable) and I still use it to read e-book before going to sleep. Probably I would use a tablet for that if I had one. I run android 4.4 aosp and small pokes around the filesystem reveal familiar (and some unfamiliar) things. :0

trivialpackets
November 28th, 2014, 05:56 PM
iPhone 5S. Because it's paid for by my employer and does what it needs to do.

xc3RnbFO8P
November 28th, 2014, 06:14 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note 8, I like "all in one", I use speaker when I talk, so there is no problem holding it.
Only thing it is missing is flashlight blitz

Matthew_Harrop
November 28th, 2014, 06:32 PM
I'm gonna be honest, Its a tool.
As long as it sends the occasional text message, makes phone calls (Not something all 'phones' can do) and fits in my pocket (Another thing not all 'phones' can do) then I'm good
I have the odd app, Productivity and sales apps (Which are useful) but mostly its just a phone.
All this rubbish about Android Vs iOS is lost on me and I develop apps for them!

lisati
November 28th, 2014, 06:55 PM
Mrs Lisati and I both have a cheap and nasty smartphones. They're a model that I wouldn't recommend to anyone who can afford something better due to an annoying habit of complaining about insufficient storage when trying to install updates.

I use mine mainly as a phone, with occasional use of our bank's app to check our accounts. Mrs Lisati uses hers mainly for texting her family, which she finds easier than with its predecessor (an inexpensive flip phone). Having 3.5" screens they're a bit hard for us to use for anything much more than that.

Old_Grey_Wolf
November 28th, 2014, 10:12 PM
I use a dumb phone that does text and calls. It does what I need it to do. I am on old retired guy. I have a notebook, laptop, and desktop for everything else. Plus it only costs US$20 a month to use it.

alek5a
November 29th, 2014, 01:30 AM
one mini 2. perfect size performance

user1397
November 29th, 2014, 08:45 PM
... ( lollipop vanilla is a new version of Jellybean 4.4? )The newest version of android is version 5.0, codename Lollipop. Jellybean was ver 4.1-4.3, and kitkat was 4.4, now they skipped to ver 5.0

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

monkeybrain20122
November 30th, 2014, 12:08 AM
$50 dumb phone. I am smart so my phone doesn't have to be. :) Seriously, I am spending too much time on the computer for my own good already, besides, data plans here are too expensive, would rather save the $$ for something else.

Dave_Tom
November 30th, 2014, 10:57 PM
Sony Experia M2, I've always previously had really basic phones up until a few months ago, so I am still easily impressed with things like being able to go on facebook or check the footy scores where ever I like! Still finding it hard to adapt to touch screen typing though!

Habitual
December 1st, 2014, 06:15 PM
I have never owned one.
If it's important, call the house.

PJs Ronin
December 2nd, 2014, 01:32 PM
In a previous life I was the PR Officer (among other things) at an Air Force base. You should see the office phones light up when F/A-18s launch at oh dark 30, and as Johnny on the spot I had the job of calming some very irate civilian neighbours. That job gave me an intense hatred of phones and phone calls so now I have an iPhone6 and make/receive maybe 3 or 4 calls a month. However, I am now a full time carer so my entire day revolves around my patient's needs, and that means schedules, reminders and alarms and having all that on something I can put in my pocket is a godsend.

mastablasta
December 2nd, 2014, 01:58 PM
$50 dumb phone. I am smart so my phone doesn't have to be. :) Seriously, I am spending too much time on the computer for my own good already, besides, data plans here are too expensive, would rather save the $$ for something else.

same here. I think my phone is from 2003 or 2002. though occasionally I just miss a camera, but otherwise it does it's job as a phone just fine.

PondPuppy
December 2nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
I use a dumb old flip-phone. It lives in the car. I don't like phone calls much -- history of "phone call means a bad thing happened" -- so I don't spend much time with a phone to my ear.

user1397
December 2nd, 2014, 05:18 PM
I'm surprised by the amount of luddites (well, phone luddites) in this thread! (hehe :))

the-tech-kid
December 2nd, 2014, 06:44 PM
I don't have a cellphone!

tjeremiah
December 2nd, 2014, 09:21 PM
im using a LG Optimus F3. Great battery life, cheap, Android 4.1 but with that I was close to replacing it this black friday because the storage is terrible. You only get like 1.5gb of storage. But then last night I decided to root the phone and im back to being happy with it. All I do is text, surf a little, and make calls. No need in buying a new phone just yet.

Previous phone was an LG Optimus one.

Old_Grey_Wolf
December 2nd, 2014, 10:49 PM
I'm surprised by the amount of luddites (well, phone luddites) in this thread! (hehe :))

I assume you know what the word Luddite means. Some people prefer to live within their means or spend the money on things that are more important to them. Not everyone feels they need to be connected 24/7. :)

sisco311
December 2nd, 2014, 11:33 PM
Sony Xperia Z1. I use it mostly for checking my mails, browsing the interwebs and for watching some videos. Occasionally I play some games and every now and then I do some phone calls.

It has better specs than my desktop computer so I can't complain about it.

lisati
December 3rd, 2014, 12:30 AM
I assume you know what the word Luddite means. Some people prefer to live within their means or spend the money on things that are more important to them. Not everyone feels they need to be connected 24/7. :)

Exactly. Although Mrs Lisati and I have multiple cellphones that we can use, we don't need the latest phones with all the bells and whistles. Most of the time the ability to make phone calls or send text messages is sufficient, with occasional access to our bank's app to check balances. We've also chosen plans that suit our calling patterns and our budget.

princecharming
December 3rd, 2014, 08:19 AM
If you want to know that what kind of cell phone do i use, and why???? Then i tell you that i have use Samsung Galaxy Star Pro. It is a white colored smart phone. The reason of use it that it is my first personal Smart phone, i had ever use in my life. Its picture quality is very good. Its sound quality is too good as well as.

help_me2
December 4th, 2014, 06:41 AM
same here. I think my phone is from 2003 or 2002. though occasionally I just miss a camera, but otherwise it does it's job as a phone just fine.
Cell phones may still be called "phones" but are actually much more than that. It's my GPS unit, MP3 player/streamer, camera, price checker at stores, occasional games, info on demand, (I can ask it any question and get Google search results).

It doesn't make sense to me to carry around 4-5 devices when 1 will suffice. The great turn-by-turn GPS functionality alone has saved my butt more than a few times. But hey, to each their own.

bcschmerker
December 4th, 2014, 07:07 AM
Recently, T-Mobile® began providing over-the-air services for metroPCS®, and I ran into inconsistent behavior with a Motorola® W845 shockproofed/watertight flip-phone I had been using until August 2014. The winner in the W845-replacement search happens to be a touchscreen model: The Kyocera® C6530 Hydro™ LIFE™, which is rated watertight to 1 m and carries some additional information services not possible on the W845. I have encased it in a hard/soft shell package with camera/flash/speaker/microphone ports and plan to acquire dustplugs for 3.5mm and micro-USB against potential contact corrosion at the headset and data jacks.

help_me2
December 4th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Recently, T-Mobile® began providing over-the-air services for metroPCS®, and I ran into inconsistent behavior with a Motorola® W845 shockproofed/watertight flip-phone I had been using until August 2014. The winner in the W845-replacement search happens to be a touchscreen model: The Kyocera® C6530 Hydro™ LIFE™, which is rated watertight to 1 m and carries some additional information services not possible on the W845. I have encased it in a hard/soft shell package with camera/flash/speaker/microphone ports and plan to acquire dustplugs for 3.5mm and micro-USB against potential contact corrosion at the headset and data jacks.
Off topic, but why do people put trademark and copyright stuff in their posts? It's not needed and deters from the post. I see this from time to time, and it baffles me. Makes it look like an advertisement.

CantankRus
December 4th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Sony Ericsson slide phone circa 2007.
Suits me fine. makes and receives phone calls with a battery recharge cycle of about 5 days.
Costs me $30 a year to run on a prepaid long expiry plan.
Rarely use it to call or text anyone... mainly to receive.

Smart phones and data plans are ridiculously over priced in my opinion.
Would like to know how much people are spending per month on their cell phones.

OrangeCrate
December 4th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Smartphones simply make a busy life easier to manage. Mine is an iphone 5s. In addition to all of the normal stuff it does, I sync docs and photos with my Ubuntu laptops using Dropbox, and I print from it using an HP wireless printer. Though many of the people is this thread obviously could, personally, I couldn't imagine life in the 21st century without one. I boot a laptop once or twice a week - the rest of the time I use my phone for everything, including penning this post.

mastablasta
December 4th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Cell phones may still be called "phones" but are actually much more than that. It's my GPS unit, MP3 player/streamer, camera, price checker at stores, occasional games, info on demand, (I can ask it any question and get Google search results).
It doesn't make sense to me to carry around 4-5 devices when 1 will suffice. The great turn-by-turn GPS functionality alone has saved my butt more than a few times. But hey, to each their own.

well i don't listen to music much anymore. the car has CD inside and usually radio is good enough for some background noise. camera would be usefull at times. but i don't have many of those moments that i wish i had a camera with me. i figure if i didn't need it until now there is no reason I need it. price checker... huh? never felt the need for it. very rarely that price needs a check they have it at the store or I call a store clerk.

GPS is good. but in my country I don't really need it. towns are small enough one doesn't get really lost. I have specific target only then I take the GPS navigatior with me. otherwise I do not need it. I did borrow my sons tablet. I though it would be good to use it when I went to Berlin. only to find there that google maps don't show anything without internet connection. and having a Wi-Fi tablet only the GPS was useless. if I had a phone I could use it as maps would update and all but the problem would be I would pay very expencive for the updates.

Smartphones simply make a busy life easier to manage. Mine is an iphone 5s. In addition to all of the normal stuff it does, I sync docs and photos with my Ubuntu laptops using Dropbox, and I print from it using an HP wireless printer. Though many of the people is this thread obviously could, personally, I couldn't imagine life in the 21st century without one. I boot a laptop once or twice a week - the rest of the time I use my phone for everything, including penning this post.

I have to still use my brain for that mostly. :) and I guess maybe my life is not that busy. also I figure if I had more mobile job I would cherish the small mobile PC that these phones are. I know my cousin does. uses it for modem, as pc, personal organiser...but since I don't have such a job...

oh and even my mobile phone it accompanies me to holidays or when I go trekking in the mountains. but at those times it is switched off. I only turn it on if I need to make a call. I don't accept any calls on holidays. I also rarely use internet on holidays. though on last ones I used it a bit more than previously as we had to change a whole plan and book a few hotels along the route. other than that I am off. and I can imagine life without mobile phone. and believe me it is a enough good life.

which is why I am not sure the smart phone would get even 80% used if I bought one. it would spend most of the time in pocket just as current one does. maybe take occasional picture. and that's it.

ssam
December 4th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Fairphone (http://www.fairphone.com/), because ethics. Its also not a bad phone.

portalhavoc
December 4th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I use a Samsung Galaxy Note II with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean. (It was my mom's phone and then she gave it to me.) :D

haplorrhine
December 5th, 2014, 06:12 PM
tracfone, because money.

It has an alarm too.

kamhagh
December 5th, 2014, 06:31 PM
nexus 4 :) i love it, bloatless easy too root and beautiful and fast and smooth and amazing. ofc not anymore :D (it got old!) im planning to upgrade it as soon as i can, i can't run newer games at it, and it started to leave shade of chrome browser on screen (or even other stuff) and ...! if nexus 6 ever gets available in my country i will get it else i will wait for new phone :| (nexus 5 2 or 6 2 or something, i don't know :|)

sportscrazed2
December 5th, 2014, 11:25 PM
LG G2 best phone I could find for the price without a contract. Paid $170 for it

eight.coffee.beans
December 6th, 2014, 12:40 AM
I use Alcatel OneTribe and most of the time only for music or sending a message on Facebook or SMS. :)

chili555
December 6th, 2014, 04:10 AM
I use some old flip-phone that has no smartness whatever. I've had the same plan for about eight years and so the same monthly cost.

I think the smartphone has done considerable damage to modern society along with its benefits. I see this kind of behavior all the time and I'm horrified: http://datkin.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/AquariusHouseDinner7-6-11.jpg And this: http://localtvwreg.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/texting-while-driving.jpg Yikes!

Silly me; when I drive, I drive and when I go to dinner, I eat and actually talk to my friends and family.

</rant>

lisati
December 6th, 2014, 05:17 AM
I use some old flip-phone that has no smartness whatever. I've had the same plan for about eight years and so the same monthly cost.

I think the smartphone has done considerable damage to modern society along with its benefits. I see this kind of behavior all the time and I'm horrified: http://datkin.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/AquariusHouseDinner7-6-11.jpg And this: http://localtvwreg.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/texting-while-driving.jpg Yikes!

Silly me; when I drive, I drive and when I go to dinner, I eat and actually talk to my friends and family.

</rant>

The first pic shows something that's plain rude, and the second, well, it's dangerous and probably illegal in some places.

chili555
December 6th, 2014, 01:20 PM
The first pic shows something that's plain rude, and the second, well, it's dangerous and probably illegal in some places.And yet we see it every day. Before smartphones, people were smarter and phones were not!

xubu2
December 7th, 2014, 03:29 AM
Don't like phones. They always ring at the worst time possible :)
But i guess you need one these day's so i use a very old samsung, only for calling somebody or texting.

michael-piziak
December 8th, 2014, 08:22 PM
A simple Samsung phone that about all it does is make calls and I can txt with it. I don't know it's model number. Regardless, it's not a smart phone. It does have a pop out keyboard which makes it easy to txt with.

Jonor
December 8th, 2014, 11:29 PM
A dated 2g clamshell for making mobile calls; a basic smartphone, Motorola Moto G for observing and to a much lesser degree using Android.
About to get Lollipop in my country soon on this model - it has arrived in India. Apparently the overview is preserved after a reboot - sounds great !

RabbitWho
December 10th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Don't like phones. They always ring at the worst time possible :)
But i guess you need one these day's so i use a very old samsung, only for calling somebody or texting.

Lol, are you me? I bet we even have the same phone.

I hate it when it rings. "Ring ring! ring ring!" So impolite!

Kale_Freemon
December 10th, 2014, 07:27 AM
HTC 8XT with Windows Phone 8. I prefer WP over Android on my phone. Android is just slow and gets bogged down too easily. WP 8 runs like a champ (I also have Windows 8.1 on a tablet).

Now, if only HTC and Sprint would stop giving us 8XT owners the run around and actually release the 8.1 update.

mop2
December 11th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Nokia 1600. 11 days of battery life!

Ko_Char
December 22nd, 2014, 12:57 AM
Lumia 520 Windows 8 phone. Pretty fast for a super cheap phone. My first smart phone experience is LG android 4.x . Pretty horrible experience. Bloated, slow, and need to reformat SD card several times or it won't store the files on SD card.

MrSteve
December 23rd, 2014, 03:29 AM
HTC legend, android 2.2 about 4 years old and still going strong ...

Bucky Ball
December 23rd, 2014, 05:56 AM
And yet we see it every day. Before smartphones, people were smarter and phones were not!

Amen. I have a horrible story that was related to me by a friend about using the phone while driving. I won't go into it here, suffice to say it involved a rather gruesome death.

So please, just don't use the phone while driving. If you must, get counselling. You are too far gone and have the potential to cause serious injury or death to yourself and/or others. ;)

PS: It is definitely illegal to use a phone while driving in Australia and I'm in full support of that decision.

Personally, I have a dumb phone. Send texts, take the occasional pic, has an analogue keyboard which suits me as I'm a touch typist. My thumbs know where to go and it's comfortable. All I need.

Andika_Demas_Riyan
December 23rd, 2014, 04:18 PM
samsung galaxy note 4...

hehe pretty expensive, but it worth every penny for me...

beep3
December 24th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Sagem MC3000 (http://www.gsmarena.com/sagem_mc_3000-244.php)! When / if it finally dies I'd like one of those Jolla phones.

open2reason
December 30th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Ars Technica would suggest the All the phones you need to know about, and everything you need to know about them may offer you all the choices you should consider http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/12/the-state-of-smartphones-in-2014-ars-technicas-ultimate-guide/
Don't use one myself.

mips
December 30th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Anything simple, all I need is to make calls, send sms' and have an alarm. I find cellphones very intrusive & antisocial.

Gustaf_Alhll
December 30th, 2014, 11:07 PM
IPhone 5. It's because of the reason that both my mother, father and brother wanted ME to have a new one (Note that I was happy with my old one).
We are really living in a bizarre world.

Wild_Duck66
December 31st, 2014, 12:35 AM
Moto G, it does all I need it to. I don't often play games but use things like wifi analyser and speedtest & bus checker.

Bucky Ball
December 31st, 2014, 12:36 AM
Anything simple, all I need is to make calls, send sms' and have an alarm. I find cellphones very intrusive & antisocial.

+1. I send sms and people call me!

IPhone 5. It's because of the reason that both my mother, father and brother wanted ME to have a new one (Note that I was happy with my old one).
We are really living in a bizarre world.

We certainly are. Make sure you sell, recycle or pass on that old one. Mobiles make hazardous landfill. ;)

Daletec
December 31st, 2014, 03:01 PM
I use a dumb phone that does text and calls. It does what I need it to do. I am on old retired guy. I have a notebook, laptop, and desktop for everything else. Plus it only costs US$20 a month to use it.

Not retired, but this post NAILED it! Plus, I use prepaid and I only pay about $5 a month for minutes, a little more if I use it. I only use it to make calls when on the road or an occasional text, I HATE text messaging, but it is useful, sometimes. If you use your phones and all the gizmos that are on them, great, I just don't.:guitar: