PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Grub EFI: configfile must be specified on every boot *redux*

ronniepinsky
November 26th, 2014, 09:22 PM
edit:
The problem is at least partially fixed. When dumped to the grub shell the "set" command is useful. It clearly showed the prefix as being set to "(hd0,gpt1)/boot/grub". This folder and the stub grub.cfg did not exist and instead the stub grub.cfg was in the /EFI/ubuntu folder in the EFI partition instead. I manually created /boot/grub/ in the EFI partition and copied the stub grub.cfg into it and that was all she took.

Keep in mind, I have not changed a thing except for adding the 32-bit EFI loader file. So this looks like a bug with Ubuntu. The real question is where is grub getting it's config (prefix=(hd0,gpt1)/boot/grub) from?

-----------

Every time I boot I am dropped to the grub shell. I am also using the bootia32.efi file because of a 32-bit EFI but I am not sure that has anything to do with the problem. I have to run:

configfile (hd0,gpt5)/boot/grub/grub.cfg

at the grub shell to continue booting. I have tried editing the "stub" grub.cfg file in the EFI partition and adding the line above but it still dropped to the shell. I have tried renaming the "stub" grub.cfg but it still dropped to the shell. Finally. I have tried copying the "main" grub.cfg file over the "stub" grub.cfg file but it still dropped to the shell.

Last time, this problem was fixed by running boot-repair but I would like to try to fix this manually to learn more and avoid breaking the system in unpredictable ways. Where should I investigate from here?

oldfred
November 26th, 2014, 10:45 PM
Not sure if somehow different with the 32 bit version, but you normally have a grub.cfg in /efi/ubuntu with the configfile entry.

Your entry looks correct if sda5 is correct partition and that should have worked.

Standard version that grub creates uses search & UUID, but end result should be the same.

search.fs_uuid Your-uuid-here root hd0,gpt8
set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
configfile $prefix/grub.cfg

My entry:
search.fs_uuid 45de38c8-6748-4634-b207-628d9aa8b42b root hd0,gpt3
set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
configfile $prefix/grub.cfg

Boot-Repair would not have fixed the grub.cfg in the efi partition unless it was part of a grub reinstall. It normally is just running standard updates using scripts.

ronniepinsky
November 27th, 2014, 12:06 AM
edit: see above.