PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installing Gnome 3.14 on lubuntu 12.04 without distro upgrade?

tkmarnell
November 26th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Hi as the title says Can I do it and will it work without upgrading my distro as I'm quite happy with what I have but would love to update gnome. When I launched an install thru the terminal it suggested i might experience bugs. Would this be true or is it just the general small print, thanks in advance Tom

deadflowr
November 26th, 2014, 07:16 PM
Hi as the title says Can I do it and will it work without upgrading my distro as I'm quite happy with what I have but would love to update gnome. When I launched an install thru the terminal it suggested i might experience bugs. Would this be true or is it just the general small print, thanks in advance Tom

As far as I know gnome3.14 is still in testing phase for Ubuntu, so yes, you might experience bugs.
I would think that you would experience those bugs regardless of whether you run 12.04, or 15.04(the current development release).

I also do not think you would need to upgrade releases, but that all depends on whether or not the packages are being built for 12.04.

ajgreeny
November 26th, 2014, 09:29 PM
Are you aware that Lubuntu 12.04 has lost support now; it was not an LTS version and had only one year or 18 months support, I believe?
All the other versions of the 12.04 ubuntu family still are supported, ie Xubuntu, Kubuntu and Ubuntu (not sure about a few of the more minor versions like mythbuntu, etc etc).
An upgrade to Lubuntu 14.04 would be a good idea, I think, and might perhaps make the addition of gnome 3.14 less problematical.

tkmarnell
November 26th, 2014, 10:43 PM
I wasn't but now I am aware and intend acting on your advice and it is very much appreciated, I had become so settled in my ways.....

tkmarnell
November 26th, 2014, 10:44 PM
thanks Tom