PDA

View Full Version : Autohide launcher when an application is maximized

vasa1
November 26th, 2014, 03:09 AM
I don't use (or need) launchers but here's an interesting question about the Unity launcher: How can I auto-hide the launcher via a script, when I maximize the browser? (http://askubuntu.com/questions/553539/how-can-i-auto-hide-the-launcher-via-a-script-when-i-maximize-the-browser)

The code presented in the body of the question has reference to Unity 2D and doesn't work now but apparently it did at one time. But I don't see anything in the code that would indicate whether a window is maximized or not. How was that information obtained?

coldcritter64
November 26th, 2014, 03:49 AM
But I don't see anything in the code that would indicate whether a window is maximized or not.I can't either, only seems to check for the presence of a browser open.

wmctrl usage :
-l List the windows being managed by the window manager. One line
is output for each window, with the line broken up into space
separated columns. The first column always contains the window
identity as a hexadecimal integer, and the second column always
contains the desktop number (a -1 is used to identify a sticky
window). If the -p option is specified the next column will
contain the PID for the window as a decimal integer. If the -G
option is specified then four integer columns will follow:
x-offset, y-offset, width and height. The next column always
contains the client machine name. The remainder of the line
contains the window title (possibly with multiple spaces in the
title).

except in the first answer .... wmctrl -lG, note the
If the -G
option is specified then four integer columns will follow:
x-offset, y-offset, width and height.
So dimensions are considered within the first answer where the question itself is not using that switch, it may be possible with some scripting to determine if a window is full or close to full size and then activate the hide launcher code using that sort of output, though I am missing how it is done myself reading that.
Even reading the following comments doesn't look good ....

Very nice! only thing is that it also hides the launcher on workspaces where there is no maximaized window (if there is one one of the workspaces.and
--- and it works unpredictably sometimes, I have it running, nowhere a maximized window, in workspace 2/4 it autohides? may still need some work by the looks.

papibe
November 26th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Moved to Desktop Environments.

vasa1
November 26th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Is there any command then to determine if a window is maximized? Or maybe to force a window to be maximized and then use some code to autohide a launcher?

man wmctrl has this but I don't have time to look at it right now:
-b ( add | remove | toggle),prop1 [,prop2 ]
Add, remove, or toggle up to two window properties simultaneously. The window that is being modified must be identified with a -r action. The property
change is achived by using the EWMH _NET_WM_STATE request. The supported property names (for prop1 and prop2) are modal, sticky, maximized_vert,
maximized_horz, shaded, skip_taskbar, skip_pager, hidden, fullscreen, above and below. Two properties are supported to allow operations like maximiz‐
ing a window to full screen mode. Note that this action is made up of exactly two shell command line arguments.

This does it:
$ wmctrl -r geany -b add,maximized_horz,maximized_vert

user1397
November 27th, 2014, 05:04 PM
I don't get why you don't just set the launcher to autohide in settings?

vasa1
November 27th, 2014, 06:29 PM
I don't get why you don't just set the launcher to autohide in settings?Not me :)
I don't use any launcher. The question was raised by someone at Ask Ubuntu (linked to in the first post). My question was about the codes that were being discussed and it related to how those codes detected whether a window was maximized or not.

user1397
November 27th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Not me :)
I don't use any launcher. The question was raised by someone at Ask Ubuntu (linked to in the first post). My question was about the codes that were being discussed and it related to how those codes detected whether a window was maximized or not.
Ah I see. So they want to have the launcher NOT on autohide, but when a window is maximized, it hides automatically? And then when the windows is not maximized the launcher reveals itself again?