PDA

View Full Version : identifying and rolling back a CVS committ locally

Lars Noodén
November 25th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I've checked out a module in Gnu CVS and identified one file that I want to roll back. Aside from using the diff to unpatch, is there another way?

Further, that one file depends on definitions in at least one other file changed during the same commit. How do I find the other files that were changed in the same commit?

ofnuts
November 25th, 2014, 01:31 PM
My CVS is a bit rusty, and I've been using it mostly through the Eclipse plugin lately...

If you have set a tag on the commit, then checkout -r {tag} will retrieve the file with that version. Checkout -D {date} will also gives you the file contents as it was in the repository at the given date. At that point CVS makes the files read-only and remember somewhere that this isn't the latest version, but there is some way to make it the current version again.

To find the files changed on the same day, I have no better idea than running a cvs status on them and checking for the dates, unless you have been very specific when tagging them (but this is normally not a good way to use tags, that are best used across a whole project.).

Lars Noodén
November 25th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll look at dates a bit. However, it is likely that many files are changed on any given day, seeing as the module has about 65,000 regular files in all. If there is a way to identify a specific commit and the files it affects, that would be the best, I think.

spjackson
November 25th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll look at dates a bit. However, it is likely that many files are changed on any given day, seeing as the module has about 65,000 regular files in all. If there is a way to identify a specific commit and the files it affects, that would be the best, I think.
My CVS is also very rusty and maybe this will help, but maybe this will help.

cvs -q diff --brief -r1.344 -r1.345 | grep Index

I think this lists files change in revision 1.345, but I'm not sure how additions/deletions are handled.

ofnuts
November 25th, 2014, 03:22 PM
But when you commit several files, each gets its ow version number, depending on its history?

Lars Noodén
November 25th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Yes, each file has its own, different version number.

spjackson
November 25th, 2014, 04:09 PM
But when you commit several files, each gets its ow version number, depending on its history?
True, my mistake. I really have been away from it too long.