PDA

View Full Version : Are there any teenager?

hai3
November 25th, 2014, 02:51 AM
I am really lonely right now. Are there any teenager 13~14 who wanna talk on skype/facebook or something? I have not seen any teen linux user in my local area.
Most vietnamese use Windows XP and Windows 95/98 as their main operating system.
I don't know why I'm near 14 but never got a girlfriend...
PS: ubuntu is not my only operating system. I also run Fedora. But now i'm using Win 8 because of The Sims 4.

i wanna be friend with teens in this planet

grahammechanical
November 25th, 2014, 05:35 AM
You are starting young, are you not? At your age it is better to have friends than have a girl friend. Start by being a friend.

I would suggest joining the Vietnam Ubuntu Local Community (LoCo) but this web page has not been updated recently.

http://ubuntu-vn.org/

Regards.

mastablasta
November 25th, 2014, 09:53 AM
...and Windows 95/98 as their main operating system.

LOL. Why not offer them an upgrade. make some friends along the way....

I don't know why I'm near 14 but never got a girlfriend...

eh just don't worry too much. better that way. for me people keep saying I am dating someone even though I didn't have a girlfriend. imagine how the girl felt when I asked her out. she though I am cheating on another girl I was supposedly dating. I only found out hat later on. anyway at about 20 I stopped worrying at all. I realised there is about 2 women for every men in the world and I decided - let them worry, I am done with that. ha!

I have an awesome wife and two great kids now. I only wish I met her sooner.

flaymond
November 25th, 2014, 09:59 AM
I'm 15, but im not a vietnamese guy...sorry

mörgæs
November 25th, 2014, 10:10 AM
If you want a girlfriend I don't think Ubuntuforums is the best place to post. I haven't seen Nixie around.

jhay2
November 25th, 2014, 10:55 AM
facebook is your hope :)

hai3
November 25th, 2014, 11:39 AM
I would suggest joining the Vietnam Ubuntu Local Community (LoCo) but this web page has not been updated recently.

http://ubuntu-vn.org/

Regards.

this site wont allow new member to join

hai3
November 25th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I'm 15, but im not a vietnamese guy...sorry
but i wanna befriend with teens in Earth?!

hai3
November 25th, 2014, 12:35 PM
LOL. Why not offer them an upgrade. make some friends along the way....

their 128mb ram...

mastablasta
November 26th, 2014, 10:50 AM
their 128mb ram...

so? Slitaz, DSL, Tiny Core, TORI OS... :-)

though I imagine they do not use the PC to go online. Still, unless they need it for games...

ukripper
November 26th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Sorry mate but to get a real girl friend you need to go out more and hang out, meeting people, learning from them etc. Being a keyboard "lover" doesn't cut it when it comes to human emotions. Besides at 14 think about some life aspirations rather putting yourself through girlfriend mode, girlfriend will follow later in time anyways if you are successful and wiser man..

Sorry I am not trying to be rude here, just concerned for a 14 year old as my cousin is of same age and I always try to help him out in such situations.

gjohnz
November 26th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Seriously? Shut the computer down. Then go outside and play.

hai3
November 26th, 2014, 11:47 AM
so? Slitaz, DSL, Tiny Core, TORI OS... :-)

though I imagine they do not use the PC to go online. Still, unless they need it for games...

i can browser web with my rarely-use 32mb ram PC

sudodus
November 26th, 2014, 11:57 AM
i can browser web with my rarely-use 32mb ram PC

That is great! Please describe your hardware and software, how you manage to do that. I think many of us would like to know :-)

hai3
November 26th, 2014, 12:09 PM
That is great! Please describe your hardware and software, how you manage to do that. I think many of us would like to know :-)

CPU: arm 8bit 104mhz
ram: 3.4mb

sudodus
November 26th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Yes, symbian was developed for mobile phones years ago in order to work with much lower RAM compared to what is common nowadays :-)

What browser are you using?

Are you compiling the software, or do you get it pre-compiled?

Have you tried any of the really ultra-light linux distros like DSL, or something like Kolibri, or a simple text-only linux system with lynx or links2? It would be interesting to compare the performance of various ultra-light operating systems.

hai3
November 26th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Wml wap browser nokia ngage qd

sudodus
November 26th, 2014, 01:32 PM
Thanks for sharing :-)

We are all volunteers, helping each other and learning from each other. There are people at all ages (well almost). I'm retired from work because of old age, and I have time to share some of experience with computers. My first programming was with a main-frame computer via punched cards during 1968 (or maybe was it 1969). The language was Algol. My next experience was with a mini-computer via a (electro-mechanical) teletype terminal and the Basic language. Sounds like the age of dinosaurs to you ;-)

-o-

I hope that you will find many interesting things here at the Ubuntu Forums, and I wish you find some people of your own age who are interested in the same things as you :-)

hai3
November 26th, 2014, 02:02 PM
i am a 10x kid but i play like 9x and 8x.
i play snes instead of playstation 4

flaymond
November 26th, 2014, 03:21 PM
1967-2000

The adventures for Explorers (Hackers).

BASIC, Fortran....IBM machine.....I believe sudodus can make a Security or Operating System company far more better than Bill Gates....

man....My place in 2014 is same like 1975 in Computer World...people love to play and use, but lazy and bore to explore and develop....

aww, I really hope I can explore more and more about Computer and how its worked. It's so fun (for me) to seeking knowledge while Im still young now....

QIII
November 26th, 2014, 04:05 PM
In 1975 people loved to play on computers but were too lazy to explore?

flaymond
November 26th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Aww, wrong pasted.....(ahh, need to advise myself again, never copy-paste if you can type)
n
My country were behind and unable to catch up the innovation of technologies in USA. (Computing).

Majorities of our citizens get to know computer after 1-2 years Internet released for public. (I believe 1995-1996)

But, I'm grateful..because I can learn computer in this age that people were born in 1960-1980 can't do or even know.

So, I will never waste this chance to learn.

* Sorry for terrible grammar and vocabulary. I really need to make my English getting good (alternative to writing poetry - posting and asking in forums XD)

oldos2er
November 26th, 2014, 07:21 PM
But, I'm grateful..because I can learn computer in this age that people were born in 1960-1980 can't do or even know.

You know how old the people (those who are still living) are who invented the internet, right? It's a rhetorical question.

bashiergui
November 26th, 2014, 07:40 PM
You know how old the people (those who are still living) are who invented the internet, right? It's a rhetorical question.
Al Gore is 66 ;)

xc3RnbFO8P
November 26th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Al Gore is 66 ;)

+ 1 :)

coldcritter64
November 26th, 2014, 10:07 PM
....because I can learn computer in this age that people were born in 1960-1980 can't do or even know ...
:roll: ... I was using a computer about 5 years or so before you were even born, and still do :lol:

Though I did first "discover" computers as a 17 year old in High School in 1981, some 33 years ago ... :)

Regards, coldcritter64 ("old" and born in, "you guessed it" ... 1964 :P)

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 03:12 AM
1960-1980 in my country. There's no computer to use :( that time.

QIII
November 27th, 2014, 03:45 AM
My dad was using them in the '40s -- when "bugs" were actual insects got stuck in relays.

lisati
November 27th, 2014, 04:03 AM
My interest in computers got started back in the mid 1970s. I once even had a job during the school holidays in the computer room of a well know car manufacturer.

Back in those days, although remote terminals were beginning to appear around the place, punched cards, magnetic tapes, and humungous printers were still quite common. Disk drives, when present, were usually physically larger but with a somewhat smaller storage capacity than commonly available for your laptop or PC these days.

I've heard it said (citation and verification needed) that I'm probably holding more computing power in my hand when making a call from my smartphone than was available to NASA during the moonwalk.

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Punched card? ( I don't know what that mean, seriously.)

QIII
November 27th, 2014, 05:40 AM
IBM punch cards. (http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/computer_data_storage_through_ages?page=0,0)

Lisati an I are about the same age. I may have a year or two on him.

Anyway, punch cards are where we got in on the fun in the mid 70s. Mag tape was around, but it was expensive.

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 06:24 AM
It's like an age before Printer (that use ink to print the information on the papers). So, it can be used to 'punchs' Fortran codes?

lisati
November 27th, 2014, 06:44 AM
The first mainframes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainframe_computer#History) I had any experience with used line printers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_printer) which printed a complete line at a time AND punch cards (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card) which had separate devices that worked independently of the printer. The rooms were usually air-conditioned, quite a different environment to my lounge with a laptop on a student desk, another laptop on a nearby table, a 15+ year old disused desktop under a table, assorted mobile phones, and assorted media devices (VCR, DVD player etc) under the TV.

bashiergui
November 27th, 2014, 06:46 AM
It's like an age before Printer (that use ink to print the information on the papers). So, it can be used to 'punchs' Fortran codes?It required the programmers to write in binary on the punch cards. :S

I'm a dork so I was curious what binary "hello world" looks like. Here it is
01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 00100001

flaymond
November 27th, 2014, 06:57 AM
That make sense of why High-Level Programming Language created.

lisati
November 27th, 2014, 06:59 AM
No. The computers read the punch cards sort of like a computer today reads a CD. The punch cards were the software. Which required the programmers to write in binary. :S

I'm a dork so I was curious what binary "hello world" looks like. Here it is
01001000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 00100001

Nice comparison. :D

Thankfully by the time I started using them, there were card punch machines with alphanumeric capabilities. One approach was to type up your program, together with some special cards identifying the user, which program(s) to run (e.g. compiler) and your data. You'd submit your deck of cards (don't drop it, or you'll have a computer version of "pick up 52"), wait for an hour or two, and your printout would be returned to you.

bashiergui
November 27th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Nice comparison. :D

Thankfully by the time I started using them, there were card punch machines with alphanumeric capabilities. One approach was to type up your program, together with some special cards identifying the user, which program(s) to run (e.g. compiler) and your data. You'd submit your deck of cards (don't drop it, or you'll have a computer version of "pick up 52"), wait for an hour or two, and your printout would be returned to you.
That sounds slighly better. Debugging a binary program would be a special kind of hell.

mastablasta
November 28th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Anyway, punch cards are where we got in on the fun in the mid 70s. Mag tape was around, but it was expensive.

when I was in kindergarden (sometime in beginning of the 80's) during holidays season we were in another building (another kindergarden). whiel playing there we (or was it I?) came up on a closed cupboard and inside there were these cards with holes punched in them. they were neatly stacked and held together in a kind of tape of cards. they were all same size and shape. nice relatively hard cartonboard. so one of us (again I could have been the initiator) decided it was a good idea to rip them into individual card and then use them as "money". and so we did. we exchanged the money, played shop and all until the teacher saw us. she immediately called others and all had this horrified stare. who did this? who got the idea? who allowed this? what did you do? etc. were the questions. none of us knew what the fuss was all about I mean they were just a bunch of carton cards :)

I found out later (a few years later) while reading my encyclopedia books that punch cards were used as memory cards. it was only then when I realised what we did and understood why there was such a panic about a bunch of cards.

if only they told us what they were. until then I thought that computer data is stored only on cassette tapes (i had & still have a spectrum) or if you had a lot of money you could put the data on a floppy. must be they had some old machine or something.

adam_smith3
November 30th, 2014, 01:05 AM
I'm a 14 year old girl. I use Ubuntu on my brother Adam's account

nerdtron
November 30th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Wow you people are really old!

Sorry! Just kidding! :D

I started Ubuntu and Linux in general when I'm in engineering college. I'm 18 that time.
That was just about 5 years ago.

Dave_Tom
November 30th, 2014, 11:28 PM
I'm 25, but I used to be a teenager...

sffvba[e0rt
December 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM
I'm 25, but I used to be a teenager...

That is an affliction that most people older than 20 can attest too :p

Elfy
December 1st, 2014, 06:49 AM
That is an affliction that most people older than 20 19 can attest too :p

fixed that for you :p

QIII
December 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM
My son is 25. Glad he's not a teenager any more.

My daughter is 23. She wasn't such a problem as a teenager. That, or she was a lot better at not getting caught.

lisati
December 1st, 2014, 07:12 AM
I might have been a teenager once. If so it was more than 34 years ago. :D

PJs Ronin
December 2nd, 2014, 01:42 PM
I have a granddaughter who is 18... no, you can't have her number!

nacor2
December 2nd, 2014, 05:02 PM
I'm not very teen like you, but i want to be your friend :D I'm 23 xD