PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Erase disk and install 14.04 LTS

cicada2
November 25th, 2014, 12:09 AM
This laptop is going to make a great boat anchor unless linux can breath new life. I don't need anything off of it/ previously backed up everything. I am going to allocate all the space for 14.04 LTS. ******* is dead to me.

When I install from the disk, there does not seem to be an option: Erase disk and install Ubuntu

Any step by step is appreciated

Compaq Presario-R3000
Pentium(R)4 - 2.40 GHz
752 MB RAM

Previously, I tried partitioning and running Lubuntu, but runs slowly when I use for resource heavy audio applications.

Thanks in advance!

gifford
November 25th, 2014, 12:46 AM
Just use the option install Ubuntu. It will erase the disk and install, you can choose to let it use all of the disk space allocation.

grahammechanical
November 25th, 2014, 01:15 AM
What are you expecting to see and when are you expecting to see it? If we let the live session run we will get a dialog that offers to Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu. If we click Install Ubuntu we will then get a dialog offering:

Install Ubuntu Alongside [other operating systems]
Erase Disk and Install Ubuntu
Encrypt the new Ubuntu Installation for Security
Use LVM with the New Ubuntu Installation
Something Else

If you found that Lubuntu run slowly on that machine then Ubuntu will not seem any faster. That machine only has 752 MB of RAM and that makes me wonder how much memory does the video card have. Does it share RAM memory? If so, then that is even less RAM for Ubuntu. I am wondering if that machine can run Ubuntu + Unity.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

You might be better of sticking with Lubuntu or looking at Ubuntu Mate as an alternative. Ubuntu Mate is not yet an official Ubuntu flavour but it is progressing towards becoming an offical flavour.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

Regards

cicada2
November 25th, 2014, 01:43 AM
gifford,
I missed that option in previous installs. Trying it now. Thanks!

grahammechanical... I experienced slowdown in the past when: running torrents, moving files on ext HD and listening to FLAC audio files while renaming folder names and running the browser to search the internet. I think what you are saying is that it was not slow because I ran Ubuntu on a smaller partition - you're saying it's going to run slowly even if I use all the space for Ubuntu?