PDA

View Full Version : [other] Not sure if mate is official yet but steam is broken.

pizzalover1974
November 24th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Not sure if Ubuntu Mate is an official flavour yet, but Steam is broken. Showing as an untrusted package and looping. I have to alt F4 to kill the ubuntu software centre.

This is a huge fail. Needs a fix ASAP. Have updated Ubuntu MATE, but it still wont install Steam.

I'm using the latest Ubuntu MATE 14.04 LTS version.

grahammechanical
November 25th, 2014, 01:19 AM
A huge fail for whom? The Steam developers? The Ubuntu mate developers have their own priorities.

tropiko-matrox
November 25th, 2014, 01:34 AM
Hello, this is my first post I think.
I could start steam before installing nvidia drivers on 14.10 but now it just won't start.
I've installed using their .deb package, it went fine. On first start it asked something about mesa drv and glx and another missing package (i386).
anyway, I'm making another post if anyone cares to help

pizzalover1974
November 25th, 2014, 07:55 AM
A huge fail for whom? The Steam developers? The Ubuntu mate developers have their own priorities.

Considering that it works in in Ubuntu Studio (XFCE). For the Mate developers Steam SHOULDN'T break, its too damn important. And if it does it should get fixed, or the issues involving the dependencies should be fixed, by allowing us to install even if the package manager says the dependencies are untrusted.

If there is an issue, talking to Steam and resolving them. If its not fixable on the Linux side.

You don't just allow Steam to break and go "Meh...who cares..They got more important things to do". Steam is GAMING for Linux. True their are alternatives. But lets be honest. Steam is basically by far the dominant way Linux gets its games.