PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Dual Boot Default Operating System

rbscairns
November 24th, 2014, 03:05 AM
I have both Windows XP (Home) and Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my PC in a dual boot configeration. When I boot my PC, I am given options on which OS I wish to boot to. The default option is Ubuntu. I want to make Windows XP my default OS.

How can I do this?

mastablasta
November 24th, 2014, 10:00 AM
I have both Windows XP (Home) and Ubuntu 14.04 installed on my PC in a dual boot configeration. When I boot my PC, I am given options on which OS I wish to boot to. The default option is Ubuntu. I want to make Windows XP my default OS.

How can I do this?

easiest way should be to use grub customizer or similar program. or you can do it like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS

yancek
November 24th, 2014, 04:21 PM
You need to edit the line below which is in the /etc/default/grub file and replace the zero with the correct number for the menuentry for xp. You can determine that on boot by looking to see which entry is xp. Count starts at zero so if xp is the fourth menuentry, change the number to 3. Open the file with: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub and after changing save the change and run: sudo update-grub.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0

rbscairns
November 24th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Thank you Yancek. It worked like a charm!

yancek
November 25th, 2014, 01:14 AM
Thank you Yancek. It worked like a charm!

You're welcome.