PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to moving to a retirement community

pfeiffep
November 21st, 2014, 05:20 PM
I'm ready to move on to the next phase of my life with my wife of 40 years.):P Yesterday we decided on a duplex cottage in a nearby retirement community.
We'll be selling our lovely home and divesting the 'accumulated but not necessary' possessions. This is both exciting and daunting as we're moving from 3600 to 1700 sq feet.
The community we selected is a full service, certified and nationally accredited Lifecare facility (http://carf.org/home/) .
The cottage will be completely renovated prior to our move in (at facility expense).
There will be opportunities galore to help folks with technical problems and I'll introduce Ubuntu when appropriate!

tgalati4
November 21st, 2014, 05:26 PM
I wish you health and happiness as you make the transition. It's interesting to see how seniors react to using linux after years and years of frustration with Windows.

irv
November 21st, 2014, 06:29 PM
When you said "This is both exciting and daunting" I can understand this. My wife and myself have talked about this, (and we will be celebrating our 54th Anniversary this coming Wednesday), and we know that day maybe coming soon. I have been retired 9 years now and when we purchased our home we had retirement in mind. Our kids are all on their own and we have a small home right on the Mississippi River with a great view. It would be hard to give this all up, but sometimes we have to make changes in our lives.
It sounds like you have come to terms with your decision, and I wish you and your wife the best.

user1397
November 21st, 2014, 10:12 PM
Good luck!

pfeiffep
November 21st, 2014, 10:34 PM
tgalati4

Re: Looking forward to moving to a retirement community
I wish you health and happiness as you make the transition. It's interesting to see how seniors react to using linux after years and years of frustration with Windows.

I've met another retiree in this community who offers technical support; he's really looking forward to adding me to his support team so we can share the wealth: Mac, Windows, and Linux.
I will of course offer Ubuntu when appropriate, but I look at technical support as an education experience for the requester and of course myself (I always learn something when approaching technical support with this attitude)

irv

Re: Looking forward to moving to a retirement community
When you said "This is both exciting and daunting" I can understand this. My wife and myself have talked about this, (and we will be celebrating our 54th Anniversary this coming Wednesday), and we know that day maybe coming soon. I have been retired 9 years now and when we purchased our home we had retirement in mind. Our kids are all on their own and we have a small home right on the Mississippi River with a great view. It would be hard to give this all up, but sometimes we have to make changes in our lives.
It sounds like you have come to terms with your decision, and I wish you and your wife the best.

Thank you! We've been retired for 5 years in our great 3 story home, we're looking forward to a single story cottage. Our 2 children and 3 grandkids don't live close - since this community provides Long Term Care as part of the package the kids look at this as a real benefit to them.

d-cosner
November 22nd, 2014, 02:00 AM
Sounds like you made a very well thought out decision. It also sounds like you will enjoy living in the community. Hope I use the same good judgement when it's my time to retire.

lisati
November 22nd, 2014, 02:47 AM
Having reached my 22nd wedding anniversary a week ago today, I still have some catching up to do!

I wish you well......

/ADM
November 22nd, 2014, 01:39 PM
Nearly at the 3rd anniversary of mine. 40 years seems like a lifetime away, enjoy the peace and relaxation, I'm sure you've earned it!