PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 12.04 using Bing search engine and Firefox

eightbits2010
November 21st, 2014, 01:36 AM
I have been using Bing as my default search engine for a couple of years. I have Bing.com as the default home page
when going on line using Firefox. I also have noscripting turned off. Today, when going on line , the Bing opening widow will not
allow the search window( really looks like a text box) to get focus. If I enable Bing scripts which causes a different window
with the same type search box to display, then I can use the search feature.

I can't tell if this is an issue with Firefox or the bing.com site (?)

I have attached two graphics, bing01.png and bing02.png. bing01 is what I have been using in the past. The search box will
not accept a mouse click.
bing02.png is what displays after enabling scripts for bing.com and I can then use the search box. I like the original way but it is not the end of the world if I have to turn on scripting. I do wonder if MS changed something in the Bing search engine or
if anyone has any ideas what is going on here. I guess I could switch to google but prefer bing.
Best Regards.

Frogs Hair
November 21st, 2014, 10:16 PM
I just tested Bing as home-page on Firefox and it works fine . You might consider removing it and setting it again and then using F5 to refresh the page.

eightbits2010
November 23rd, 2014, 03:24 AM
If I remove FireFox and re-install, will it automatically retain the bookmarks?

Frogs Hair
November 23rd, 2014, 05:02 PM
If I remove FireFox and re-install, will it automatically retain the bookmarks? Yes , unless the .mozilla folder is deleted in home/hidden folders the bookmarks and extensions are safe. I was suggesting removing Bing from general tab/homepage FF in preferences and adding it again by navigating to Bing.com Copy the url in the in the home page tab and select use current.