PDA

View Full Version : Installing Process messed up

maxyman3400
November 20th, 2014, 11:15 PM
Around 3-4 days ago I posted about having help install 14.04. It worked and it was working but I had a power surge and a computer crash mid install. Now when ever I try to open update manager this happens
http://imgur.com/GCz3FQu
It freezes and it just will never load. I can not reinstall becuase the disk version refuses to work and when I try to update in terminal it gives me this error message
max@max-Alienware-X51-R2:~$ do-release-upgrade
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
Get:1 Upgrade tool signature [198 B]
Get:2 Upgrade tool [1,146 kB]
Fetched 1,146 kB in 0s (0 B/s)
authenticate 'trusty.tar.gz' against 'trusty.tar.gz.gpg'
extracting 'trusty.tar.gz'
[sudo] password for max:

Reading cache

Checking package manager

Unable to get exclusive lock

This usually means that another package management application (like
apt-get or aptitude) already running. Please close that application
first.

And then when I run this command
max@max-Alienware-X51-R2:~$ ^C
max@max-Alienware-X51-R2:~$ sudo apt-get update
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock directory /var/lib/apt/lists/
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
max@max-Alienware-X51-R2:~$

Please help because I can't reinstall to try to fix what that surge did. PLEASE HELP!

yancek
November 21st, 2014, 03:22 AM
The messages you posted indicate that you have multiple instances open for upgrading, using apt-get from a terminal and not stopping and then trying the Software Center or vice versa or just multiple apt-get instances. Have you tried logging out and rebooting? If you've done that already then it's another problem but there may be some way to force the upgrade to continue.

maxyman3400
November 21st, 2014, 12:42 PM
Yes that was the first thing I tried. Also it seems anything with updating software does not work.

maxyman3400
November 22nd, 2014, 12:18 AM
Ok so steam just deleted all local files and things are starting to randomly pop up? Any help?