PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 14.10 - Desktop loaded but not Unity

noonio
November 18th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Dear all,

I have recently upgraded from 14.04 to 14.10 with the graphic tool.
So far so good, apparently everything went smoothly and I was asked in the end to reboot.

Sadly enough, on reboot what happens is:
BIOS loading: OK
Grub loading: OK
Boot on Ubuntu 14.10: OK (I don't remember the version of the kernel whatever)
Logo Ubuntu: OK
Desktop with nice wallpaper that I had previously set: OK

BUT, I have no decorator whenever I open a folder.
I also do not have Unity loading (well my diagnosis here), there is no bar at all, on the left side and on the top side of the window.

I've tried already the following:
Reinstall my graphic card driver, fglrx: with purge options while doing apt-get remove
--> Same result, no Unity, but nice wallpaper

Install the proprietary ATI driver: worse behaviour, error while loading the X server (I have not copied the log, I should I know, but I'm writing this from my workplace).
--> Only mouse pointer showing

I don't remember exactly how, but I have managed somehow to remove the ATI drivers and to load default ones
--> Desktop + Unity + Decorator BUT very very laggy naturally... and oddly enough sound only while I'm in tty and not in X environment

At some point, I have reinstalled also drivers + compiz + default behavior of compiz, without better results.

I have tried to find out some information related to my problem, but with poor success :(
Do you maybe have some advices or a guideline that I might follow ?

I would love not to ****ly reinstall my system, I'm too lazy.

Regards,
Renaud

mörgæs
November 18th, 2014, 11:00 PM
If you are lazy then a reinstall could be the best option. Sounds like you are spending lots of time troubleshooting.

noonio
November 19th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Well I understand what you mean, re-installing might be the easiest way to have a new fine OS.

BUT, on the other side, I meant by lazy that I really do not want to spend some time installing everything afterwards.
Let alone configuring everything, even if I keep my configuration files, there will be some discrepancies.

My system is like 4 years old, I like it, it was just fine. I will never ever again update my system so soon after official release :(

No other suggestion ?

folky2
November 19th, 2014, 02:48 PM
hello,

@noonio
i have exactly the same problem on my pc (upgrade 14.04 TLS =>14.10)

my config:

AMD A6-3500 // AMD Radeon HD 6530D

reinstall 14.04 TLS is the one solution for me.

many problems for the 14.10 .