PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] how to install Lubuntu using USB?

flaymond
November 15th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Hi, actually i already installed 2-3 Ubuntu flavours on my pc (swapping and testing). Now, i dont have have the ISO file (the installation file with wubi .exe in it), i have the content in NTFS...how change it to bootable file back.....I already using disk apps to change partition from FAT32( I can view the file) to hidden NTFS (I can't view it, but i can boot it).

I forgot how to make the whole file to bootable file.
I made it a few times, but after couple of days...i forgot how to make it a 'bootable USB'.

Anyone can help me how to change the USB to bootable USB?

Topsiho
November 15th, 2014, 11:35 AM
Hello InterProg,

You mention wubi.exe and some strange filesystem formats :)
I don't think that wubi installs are supported in the newer Ubuntu versions.

Topsiho

ajgreeny
November 15th, 2014, 01:19 PM
You need the .iso image file to be able to make a bootable USB, so you will have to get that from the Lubuntu (http://lubuntu.net/) website if you don't have it backed up somewhere.

There is no point using wubi any more as it is not being developed and almost no-one on this forum will be able to help you with it. It is, however, possible to migrate a wubi installation to a proper partitioned installation.
See http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1519354
I have no idea how successful this might be and have no real info apart from this about wubi, which as I say, is now dead and best forgotten.

sudodus
November 15th, 2014, 03:32 PM
1. Download the iso file

2. Check it with md5sum

3. Use a suitable tool to make a boot USB drive from it.

There is a lot of detailed information in the following link and links from it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

-o-

It is easiest to start from the iso file and use a dedicated tool. It is also possible to use the files, that you have already extracted (if it is a complete set of files), and you would learn a lot, but it is much more difficult.

Edit: and wubi is deprecated.

flaymond
November 18th, 2014, 03:03 AM
I try the third party installer (unetbootin,pendrivelinux,UUI etc.) and find out those failed to detect my USB. using Startup Disk Creator (14.10 had bug, that's the problem I can't set it up from there)....but yeah...nevermind....my OS is still doing well....I just wanna prepare for the future in case I need to reinstall for particular reasons...Thanks for your advise everyone! I appreciate that!

sudodus
November 18th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Please insert the USB drive into a port of your computer. Open a terminal window, run the following commands and post the output of each of the commands. Type your password and finish with the Enter key (it is normal the the text is not echoed to the screen). Put the output text within code tags. (Go Advanced mark the text and click on the # icon above the editing window.)

sudo parted -l
'space minus ell' at the end of the command line

sudo lsblk -f

sudo lsblk -m

df

This will give us information about how the USB drive is recognized, and it will be easier to help you make some tool recognize it and make it bootable from a Lubuntu or another flavour of Ubuntu.

flaymond
November 19th, 2014, 09:42 AM
I'm posting step by step -

1. sudo parted -l

Model: ATA ST980811AS (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 80.0GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 79.0GB 79.0GB primary ext4
2 79.0GB 80.0GB 1062MB extended
5 79.0GB 80.0GB 1062MB logical linux-swap(v1) boot

Model: UFD 2.0 Silicon-Power32G (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 32.3GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 32.3GB 32.3GB primary fat32 lba

2. sudo lsblk -f

NAME FSTYPE LABEL UUID MOUNTPOINT
sda
├─sda1 ext4 740e8ecf-7603-4c1b-9e4d-e14712404283 /
├─sda2
└─sda5 swap e5803a18-ef2d-4fbc-ae7d-f6f9c0fe69be [SWAP]
sdb
└─sdb1 vfat 72E2-220B /media/user/72E2-220B
sr0

3. sudo lsblk -m

NAME SIZE OWNER GROUP MODE
sda 74.5G root disk brw-rw----
├─sda1 73.6G root disk brw-rw----
├─sda2 1K root disk brw-rw----
└─sda5 1013M root disk brw-rw----
sdb 30G root disk brw-rw----
└─sdb1 30G root disk brw-rw----
sr0 1024M root cdrom brw-rw----

4. df

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 75768928 4786320 67110660 7% /
none 4 0 4 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev 498836 4 498832 1% /dev
tmpfs 101808 996 100812 1% /run
none 5120 4 5116 1% /run/lock
none 509036 0 509036 0% /run/shm
none 102400 20 102380 1% /run/user
/dev/sdb1 31483872 16 31483856 1% /media/user/72E2-220B

* How should I do to install it with no problems? (No problems in 14.04 using Disk Image Writer to set it up)

sudodus
November 19th, 2014, 11:13 AM
What we normally do, when we install, is to download an iso file, make a USB boot drive from the downloaded file, boot and install from the USB boot drive. If I understand correctly from your first post in this thread, you want to build an iso file from files, that have been extracted. It is possible but quite difficult. I don't understand why you want to do that, when it is much easier to download a Lubuntu iso file.

-o-

Please tell us exactly what you want! There are many alternatives. Do you want to

- install an independent Lubuntu system alongside the current system in /dev/sda1 (is that Ubuntu?). - Easy

- overwrite the current system in /dev/sda1 with Lubuntu? - Easier

- make an iso file from the current installed system, and install it somewhere else? - Difficult

- change the current system in /dev/sda1 (is that Ubuntu?) to Lubuntu? - Easy to add lubuntu-desktop, hard to remove all parts of the current desktop environment

- make a backup of the current system? - There are easy and more difficult alternatives

Or do you want something else, that I could not think of? In this case, please explain :-)

-o-

Your USB drive seems good, the FAT file system is mounted, and it should be possible to use any of several tools to make it bootable with Lubuntu. The Startup Disk Creator has some bugs. Unetbootin works, mkusb works ...

flaymond
November 19th, 2014, 01:39 PM
Actually, I have downloaded the .iso file for 3x times (3 type). First is, the regular one, second is the non-GUI installer (My connection is too slow to download a really big file), and third minimal installer and I failed somehow on this version. I tried UnetBootin and the the app don't have any issue to detect the iso. But, the main issue here, the Unetbootin and PenDriveLinux cannot detect my drive.....I already formatted it to FAT32 format..and tried again and again for 2 days....and the weird thing about this.....I always pass to make these task using Disk Image Writer (to try different flavours) without any problems. Unfortunately, I can't open the iso file with the Disk Image Writer like currently I do on previous installation on several distros....

sudodus
November 19th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I don't know which software you mean by Disk Image Writer, is that the exact name of it or something similar? Is it a linux, Windows or MacOS tool? Is it one of the following tools?

https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

If you have a Lubuntu iso file and the download was successful (check that it matches the listed string with md5sum), I think you will succeed with mkusb, which copies/clones/flashes the iso file (an exact copy of each byte) to the pendrive (the block device representing the pendrive). See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb
or in particular here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb/v9#from_phillw.net

And I think that Unetbootin should work too. It worked for me two weeks ago (in 12.04.5 and 14.04.1 also to create 14.10)

-o-

If you have problems downloading big files, I suggest that you use a torrent. The torrent method is designed to work reliably even if the internet connection is slow, interrupted and has transfer errors.

If you have really big problems with the internet connection, maybe you can download the iso file somewhere else (for example at a friend's place), or even try to find someone via the Ubuntu Forums, who lives fairly near-by and can download it and send it as a boot CD/DVD (if that would work for you) otherwise as a file on a data-DVD file for transfer to a USB drive.

flaymond
November 19th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Yes, it was exact the name...Disk Image Writer. (I think its a part of the disk ulities for create and restore disk image). mkusb? never tried that yet, maybe i should use that tomorrow. Torrent? Ohh, I think its a dangerous way because others said that it can track you or the data sent unencrypted....(not the Ubuntu torrent file i meant, its others companies....well, that make me believe that torrent file is unsafe and not should not be used. Fortunately, with your help and knowledge that you shared....I can have a good downloading speed now...without compromise,,:D )