PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Installation freezing at "Where are you?"

datsun2
November 14th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Hi, I'm new around here but I registered because I've been having issues with Lubuntu Installation, I'm currently trying to install Lubuntu 10.10. The reason I'm trying to install such an old version is due to the fact that USB boot does not seem to work.
I have a Dell E521 desktop, what happens is that I can I can run Lubuntu live boot fine, with no issue at all. But as soon as I start the installer it seems to freeze up and constantly freezes at "Where are you" with no avail.
I've honestly googled everything and I can't seem to find a solution, I Have trying to run with the "nomodeset" (not really sure what it is exactly, I forgot it lol).

Any help is appreciated!

yancek
November 14th, 2014, 04:28 AM
Having the installer freeze up like that could mean a bad download or a bad burn. Verify the download by doing an md5 checksum and if you are burning to a CD/DVD burn at a slow speed. How old is the Dell? Can you post some info on the hardware?

sammiev
November 14th, 2014, 04:35 AM
10.10 is dead. You need to move onto something newer like 12.04 or 14.04

mörgæs
November 14th, 2014, 03:35 PM
...USB boot does not seem to work.

This is surprising. Please tell the exact steps you have tried and the result.

datsun2
November 14th, 2014, 09:39 PM
This is surprising. Please tell the exact steps you have tried and the result.

I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04 ISO from the Ubuntu site, got the ISO, used the ISO installer (Universal One) and installed it onto the usb stick.
Put the USB stick into my computer and all, pressed F12 to show Boot Options, I saw the "USB ZIP" option, chose that but all it does is boot up Windows.
Also tried doing the same on BIOS settings by making the "USP ZIP" first in the sequence, again booted windows.
I installed the "LinuxLive USB Creator" and tried installing the ISO onto my USB with that program, again did the steps above and only booted Windows.

I would install Ubuntu onto a CD of some sort, but unfortunately I don't have any extra laying around.

mörgæs
November 14th, 2014, 10:45 PM
When pressing F12, which other options do you get?
Did you test the USB stick in another computer?

sudodus
November 14th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Having the installer freeze up like that could mean a bad download or a bad burn. Verify the download by doing an md5 checksum and if you are burning to a CD/DVD burn at a slow speed. How old is the Dell? Can you post some info on the hardware?

+1

Please specify your computer

- Brand name and model
- CPU
- RAM (size)
- graphics chip/card
- wifi chip/card

The more we know about the computer, the better we can help you. Otherwise we can only guess.

-o-

The same applies to the iso file and the method to create the USB boot drive and the method to boot. Please reply to the questions asked by us who try to help :-)

See this link and links from it for more details

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick