PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot boot from USB just blank screen and no GRUB

beavermml
November 13th, 2014, 03:32 PM
i have acer TM8473T and i want to install fresh ubuntu on it..

but i cannot even get any display ( no GRUB etc ) after booting from USB.. i know it did boot from USB because the "Booting in insecure mode" shows up.. but after that, just blank screen..

i suspect after that is the GRUB menu because if i press enter, the laptop seems to be booting the ubuntu ( fans begin faster, cannot shutdown immediatly by pressing on button ) but no drum sound.

i have tested the USB with other PC and the USB work fine..

this is not the first time i used ubuntu but i never face this kind of problem before, usually problems came after booting it ( weird display, drivers etc )

grahammechanical
November 13th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Grub is not used on a Ubuntu live session. What other operating system is there installed on this machine and what version of Ubuntu have you burnt to the USB memory stick?

Regards.

beavermml
November 13th, 2014, 05:12 PM
i have installed win8.1 on this laptop.. and i have use 14.10 ISO.. i use the rufus program to make a bootable USB..

the USB works with my PC but with this laptop.. it just blank screen after "Booting in insecure mode"..

beavermml
November 13th, 2014, 06:23 PM
i guess there is something wrong with syslinux/isolinux..

ubfan1
November 13th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Rufus has lots of options, which can be incompatible with UEFI booting. I have no experience with it myself, but it does more than you'd need for creating a bootable USB from an ISO. A UEFI boot will actually use grub (a BIOS boot will use syslinux), and the minimum setup for the USB should be a FAT32 filesystem, a /EFI/Boot directory containing bootx64.efi. Without that, the USB won't boot UEFI. Is your pc UEFI too? Probably not if the stick boots.

beavermml
November 14th, 2014, 01:56 AM
i know that.. i can boot the USB drive both using UEFI and BIOS mode in my PC.. ( my PC will detect 2 USB drive, UEFI: and just USB: ) but my laptop only detect one.. so i think it just boot BIOS mode.

i have tried to boot other distro and they get stuck at "initializing gfx code" in syslinux..

beavermml
November 14th, 2014, 05:17 AM
just tested the elementaryOS 0.2 Luna and it boots just fine albeit with gfx glitch at the syslinux menu ( try / install etc )..

beavermml
November 14th, 2014, 06:56 AM
i still cant install eOS 0.2 through the live cd.. freeze at "grub-install dummy".. i guess this is the UEFI part..

beavermml
November 14th, 2014, 01:57 PM
i have managed to boot GRUB from the ubuntu 14.10 usb..

but i cant boot ubuntu even with "nomodeset, nolapic, etc " mode.
i have tried the "no splash" option
and the last line is
EFI variables facility ..

ubfan1
November 14th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Here's some more options to try:
For UEFI machines (with a black screen grub (grub-efi) without any
function key options, like the older grub-pc, edit the grub menu and add
the below options on the "linux" line, then boot with F10 or ctrl-X.

Options for Video problems:

nomodeset
acpi=0
acpi_osi=linux
acpi_backlight=vendor
noalpic

Older Intel video card:
i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0
newer:
i915.i915_enable_rc6=1

video=1280x1024-24@60
video=VGA-1:1280x1024-24@60

To allow Nvidia hybrid machines to boot.
nouveau.blacklist=1

To slow SSDs to allow them to boot:
libata.force=noncq

beavermml
November 14th, 2014, 07:17 PM
ok.. i have managed to "fool" my laptop..

it turns out that this laptop UEFI implementation is so buggy.. i even have difficulties in installing win8.1 in UEFI mode.. ( i never thought that before this, i used the legacy mode to install win8.1 )..

my solution is, after creating the liveCD USB, i just delete the EFI folder in the USB.. this force my laptop to boot ISOlinux instead of grub.. and after that, i can install elementary OS without any problem ( no more grub-install failed )..