PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 12.04 problems with Libreoffice Writer

eightbits2010
November 12th, 2014, 07:56 PM
Using Ubuntu 12.04

LibreOffice 3.5.7.2
Build ID: 350m1(Build:2)

After a recent update, Office Writer will no longer allow Table Borders to set a double line around

a group of cells. Also, can't change the line width setting even though the display for setting borders
indicates the new values are entered. After inserting a table and then selecting a group of cells to edit, the table display

on the screen starts to blink while the selected table cells are displayed.
I tested cell formating in the LibreOffice spread sheet and it works as expected with no problems.
So, the issue seems to be with Writer. Any suggestions or help ?

ajgreeny
November 12th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Why not try the newer version of Libreoffice, Version: 4.3.3.2, available from the ppa at http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu.

I have been using the ppa for a long time without any real problems or difficulties, though a quick look at my installation suggests that a double line border is not possible any more, or is certainly not in the list of styles as far as I can see.

eightbits2010
November 13th, 2014, 07:23 PM
ajgreeney: When using Writer and inserting a table and selecting a group of cell's. right clicking on table
which produces a drop down list. From this list I select Table which produces a tabbed window which I then select borders.
I made a partial screen shot. The screen shot displays the double border selection.
I will look into the version 4 you mentioned. Thanks for the suggestion.

ajgreeny
November 13th, 2014, 10:08 PM
My mistake; my LO 4.3.3.2 also has that double lined border showing, I simply missed it last time (must get my eyes tested again!) and it also gives me that double line when I ask it to do so.

Not having played with this too much before, I now see also that as you increase the point size or thickness of the border lines, so you get many more styles of lines to use up to a max size of 9pts.

eightbits2010
November 14th, 2014, 10:28 PM
ajgreeny: Well, I went back this morning, tried it again, and now it works as expected.Some times my Ubuntu 12.04 does strange things. Yesterday, I even rebooted and it did not change the error. Oh well.......
BTW, what is PPA ?

ajgreeny
November 14th, 2014, 11:42 PM
PPAs are Personal Package Archives.
See https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas for all the details. Iuse several in my Xubuntu 12.04 and they enable me to install more updated versions of some packages than those in the normal repos, eg gimp, LibreOffice, or some packages that are not in the normal repos at all, eg audio-recorder.