PDA

View Full Version : No desktop notifications appear

chazzyfresh33
November 9th, 2014, 09:07 AM
I'm running Ubuntu 14.04 on a System 76 Galago Pro, recently reinstalled. I've noticed that when in the Metacity variant of the Gnome Flashback DE, I don't get any notifications in the desktop for email, rhytymbox, dropbox notifications, even the notify-send test text command. I've attempted to reinstall the notification-daemon but that doesn't seem to help. I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this, the desktop notifications have always seemed like a useful feature to me, but i'd rather not have to go to the Compiz variant to get them because my computer gets better performance without all the 3d effects.

ibjsb4
November 9th, 2014, 12:20 PM
I do not use it myself, but have you added it to the panel?

chazzyfresh33
November 10th, 2014, 10:39 PM
I was actually referring to the pop up notifications in the upper right side of the screen as opposed to the ones that appear on the panel. SOrry if that was unclear.

ibjsb4
November 11th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Ok, I now understand and really don't have a good answer for you. I do not get pop-ups either. Could be the way I built mine. Since I really don't want them, I never gave it a second thought.

But I did do some googling on it.
The notification-deamon would control this, but I think if I wanted them I would disable notification-daemon and install notify-osd.

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=notify+osd+gnome+fallback+flashback&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I would also add 'Gnome Flashback' to your thread title to help pull in the right people that could probably give a better answer.

Thats all I got. Good luck

chazzyfresh33
November 11th, 2014, 07:16 PM
I'll give it a shot and maybe it'll work Thanks!