PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ASUS Transformer Book Trio TX201LA

edemco
November 6th, 2014, 02:09 AM
I purchased a new ASUS Transformer Book Trio TX201LA which is now running Ubuntu 14.04. Installing was not straight forward. To help anyone else attempting to install Ubuntu, I offer what I did:
NOTE: Please be aware that I have done voided the warranty on my new ASUS computer. I have no problem with that, but you should consider whether you want to do this or not. I am not a fan of Windoz.
1. Removed the hard drive and installed a new 7mm 500GB Toshiba SSD. I wanted a faster boot and a lighter drive.
2. Put 14.04 on a USB stick using Unetbootin.
3. Set bios by holding DEL key: a) boot sequence to the USB stick, b) under security tab, locked Wireless Network Interface (this needs to be done to eliminate the kernel panic boot error). [Side note on the boot error: I found that my 14.04 download did not work with the wireless card on the computer.]
4. Install 14.04
5. Because the wireless card will not work, I inserted a wireless usb adapter and updated the operating system. For me it took 30 minutes. After this, I unlocked Wireless Network Interface and the wireless card worked.
6. Rebooted Ubuntu and had a working desktop in 17 seconds!

edemco
November 6th, 2014, 02:15 AM
I am looking for help regarding the Android to Operating system switch. I've heard that it is a problem with Windows as well.

Sometimes this switch works and switches back and forth. It especially works well switching from the OS to Android. More often it doesn't work well switching from android to a booted Ubuntu OS. What seems to happen is the pointer is locked inside the menu and cannot be moved out. If the pointer is moved, any application that the pointer is moved across will open. Soon there is a desktop full of opened application windows. The only fix that I've found is to restart Ubuntu.

I've found that when switching from Android to Ubuntu I can immediately press the power button and have the shutdown pop-up appear. Pressing suspend and then waking it up with the space key will give control back to the touch pad and the pointer can be used.

Has anyone found another solution?

edemco
November 24th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I can't believe that no one else has put Ubuntu on an ASUS Trio. The computer is great! The ability to have two operating systems is unique, especially when you can operate them at the same time AND physically seperate from the other ... hand someone else the tablet (just the screen) had have them do a web search while you finish the presentation!

Still, I would like to have things work a little better. Switching back and forth between Android and Ubuntu has it's difficulties. Windows 8 was no better.Someone must have some suggestions ....