PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a career change ...

boots.xiv
November 5th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm Boots, and I've been getting my Linux-feet wet with Ubuntu for almost 3 years now. It's been a slow process as I'm primarily a windows user, but I'm hoping to change that.

I have some questions. I'll try to be brief:

I'm almost 29 years old, married, with kids. I'm an accountant by trade, but have had a life long interest in all things computers. It was always a toss up between finance and computer science, and my career path was basically determined by the first opportunity that presented itself (a job at a local accounting firm). I have no post secondary education by the way. I enjoy my work, but often regret not pursuing computer science.

As an enthusiast I have gained a fair bit of experience with computers, so much so that I'm one of the local go-to guys for tech support. I've built a few of my own PCs, and started messing around in the linux command line, only the most basic stuff. Over the last few years I've had a desire to expand my knowledge in computing. I'm four chapters into Paul and Harvey Deitel's book C, How to Program 6th Edition, and I'm slowly gleaning more knowledge in Linux, using Ubuntu to write and compile the practice programs in my text book.s

But here in lies my quandry. I'm completely unfocused, wandering aimlessly about, with no clear direction. I'm hoping to tap into the experience of this community. Am I doomed to a lifetime of hobby computing (which isn't really so bad)? Is a career even still a feasible option for me at my age? If so, is there a way to get proper training without having to pay an arm and a leg for classes (got a family to feed)? If not, as an enthusiast, how can I learn about linux and programming in such a way as to still become involved? I'm falling in love with linux, open-source practices, and the community behind it all.

I realize this is pretty open ended, but please don't tell me to go to a career counsellor. I'm looking for real insight, from real people. If I'm posting this in the wrong place, can this post be moved?

For anybody who can read through my ramblings, and actually takes the time to respond, I am eternally grateful.

Bucky Ball
November 5th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Thread moved to The Cafe.

QIII
November 5th, 2014, 09:17 AM
In a broad generalization and not specifically about life vis-a-vis computer science ...

I abruptly changed direction in my 40s and remade myself. In my 50s now, I am considering doing it again just for fun. It is never too late. (In all honestly, I have the means to not worry about it so much, so maybe my case isn't typical...) I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up -- which I'm hoping will be never.

You have to balance the reality of family and bills against following your dreams. Only you can weigh that measure. But at your age you are hardly fixed in stone.

Michael Faraday had no formal schooling beyond grammar school, but look what he did to change our world. That's not a good argument for not bothering about education/specific training (for every Michael Faraday there are a million people that didn't get a good education and also didn't change the world. :) ) But even if you don't change the world, you can find happiness. Study on your own. Find a Linux User Group. Drive your car into the garage, get out the tools and start tearing things apart and throwing them on the floor. Get greasy. Ask for help when you put the carburetor back on and find you have an extra bolt in your hand. The Linux community is generally neighborly enough to come over and help you out.

Best wishes.

tgalati4
November 5th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I would consider combining your skills and write an open source business accounting suite and create a company around it. Think of Quickbooks for the masses--mobile, OS-agnostic, based on a framework that plugs into popular ERP and CRM pipelines.

Here's an example of accounting and open source: http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Wanted-A-Free-Accounting-Application-for-Non-Profits?utm_source=Linux+Newsletter&utm_campaign=Linux_Update_35_Wanted_Free_Accountin g_Application_2013-05-21&utm_medium=email

boots.xiv
November 5th, 2014, 05:32 PM
Thanks QIII and tgalati4. I was worried I wasn't going to make any sense, but your answers are exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Making a career change is a scary thought. I have a very stable job, with a good income, but not so good that I can afford to be without it for any length of time. But I suppose I have some work to do before I made any kind of transition anyway.

The idea of working on open-source accounting software is just awesome. When I started my first job as a bookkeeper in 2004 my firm was still using the DOS version of Simply Accounting, even though windows versions were already available. I loved it! Data entry was 10x as fast as on the windows software we were finally forced to use exclusively. I've mulled over the idea of recreating it for the linux platform, but I never considered taking it to the level you are suggesting. What a grand idea!

As far as pulling my car into the garage and messing around under the hood (sweet analogy), what do you think about my current endeavours? C How to Program by the Deitels is my very first experience with programming. I'm enjoying it immensely. Is it a good language to use for a project like a cross-platform accounting suite? I've read mixed reviews about whether or not C is good first language. I'm also considering auditing the Introduction to Linux course on www.edx.org. Has anybody taken this course, or any other through that site? Are these two pursuits a good starting point to tap into the world of linux and open-source programming?

I really appreciate your insight! As seems to always be the case, even the answers raise more questions (I have no idea what ERP and CRM pipelines are:p) but I feel I've already gotten more out of this discussion than I dared hope when I posted my thoughts.

Bucky Ball
November 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Just a thought, not being up with accounting software in Linux or any other language. ;) Why not have a look at the accounting software available in Linux already? As it's open-source, you'll be able to access the code, see what language the devs have used and how they've used it.

You could research a few of THESE (https://duckduckgo.com/?q=accounting+software+linux) links. I do hear about GnuCash being used by many.

tgalati4
November 5th, 2014, 07:56 PM
ERP is Enterprise Resource Planning--usually a large program that tracks stuff in a company. Inventory, labor costs, process costs, material costs are put into a system that can then generate reports for planning. Think of it as a crystal ball for business. ERP requires connection to accounting to get the data.

CRM is customer relations management--think of your Outlook Address Book on steroids. Every contact could be potential business (or a supplier or vendor). CRM captures the "pipeline" from initial contact, to business discussions (notes), to proposals, to winning bids, to execution. Accounting has to plug into estimating, proposal costs (to write the bid), and then execution--what it actually cost to perform the work.

A good accounting program will hook into these (and other) systems to run a business.

Some Accounting: https://bitnami.com/stacks/accounting

Some ERP: https://bitnami.com/stacks/erp

Some CRM: https://bitnami.com/stacks/crm

Spend a weekend (or several), build a 12.04 or 14.04 server, and install some of these tools. You will quickly see how your accounting skills could fit with installing, maintaining, and customizing these tools. There may be an opportunity to use one of these tools in your existing place of employment. The language you learn may simply be PHP or Ruby, or PERL, or bash scripting to link your current business processes/accounting to these new tools.

The language you learn should be somewhat related to what your interests are. After playing with some of these enterprise tools, you will quickly see what potholes need filling.

user1397
November 5th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm Boots, and I've been getting my Linux-feet wet with Ubuntu for almost 3 years now. It's been a slow process as I'm primarily a windows user, but I'm hoping to change that.

I have some questions. I'll try to be brief:

I'm almost 29 years old, married, with kids. I'm an accountant by trade, but have had a life long interest in all things computers. It was always a toss up between finance and computer science, and my career path was basically determined by the first opportunity that presented itself (a job at a local accounting firm). I have no post secondary education by the way. I enjoy my work, but often regret not pursuing computer science.

As an enthusiast I have gained a fair bit of experience with computers, so much so that I'm one of the local go-to guys for tech support. I've built a few of my own PCs, and started messing around in the linux command line, only the most basic stuff. Over the last few years I've had a desire to expand my knowledge in computing. I'm four chapters into Paul and Harvey Deitel's book C, How to Program 6th Edition, and I'm slowly gleaning more knowledge in Linux, using Ubuntu to write and compile the practice programs in my text book.s

But here in lies my quandry. I'm completely unfocused, wandering aimlessly about, with no clear direction. I'm hoping to tap into the experience of this community. Am I doomed to a lifetime of hobby computing (which isn't really so bad)? Is a career even still a feasible option for me at my age? If so, is there a way to get proper training without having to pay an arm and a leg for classes (got a family to feed)? If not, as an enthusiast, how can I learn about linux and programming in such a way as to still become involved? I'm falling in love with linux, open-source practices, and the community behind it all.

I realize this is pretty open ended, but please don't tell me to go to a career counsellor. I'm looking for real insight, from real people. If I'm posting this in the wrong place, can this post be moved?

For anybody who can read through my ramblings, and actually takes the time to respond, I am eternally grateful.Well, I'm 24, no wife, no kids and some college (currently pursuing a BS in Computer Information Systems) but I can still relate to you a lot.

I'm dumb because even though I've been interested in computers and technology more than pretty much anything else since I was 16, I still had the whole "I don't know what I want to do with my life" thing going for me up until recently. I was switching majors constantly in college and at one point I was pretty down with myself because I had squandered a great opportunity at a good university (I'm at a different university now).

Either way I'm back to learning more about computers, and I think I want to go the programming route as well (though that may change along the way). I think that the whole age thing is blown out of proportion in general. People reinvent themselves all the time, it's never too late. Sure, a lot of employers look for younger candidates but if you've got the know-how and you seem like a good chap then you shouldn't have too much trouble finding work in this field.

Like others have said, you know your own situation better than anyone else. I believe it is possible to do a 180 degree change in careers, but of course you have others depending on you and you can't just quit your job and not pay the bills. I know it must be hard having a full time job and with the kids and everything time is not your friend, but if you can just code for an hour or two per day that's way better than nothing. I think you did a great thing starting that C book. Many people who get into linux and open-source don't go into the "deep end" with programming (with good reason; it can seem quite daunting) so you're already ahead of the curve in that respect.

As far as I know, the most popular languages as far as for jobs nowadays are Java, C++, C# in general, although of course other jobs require any of a million other languages (php/sql for servers/web development; python/ruby for scripting; etc).

I have a friend who was studying journalism at the local university, and in his final year (out of pure curiosity) he delved into the world of programming and started coding on his own time. It was too late to switch majors, so he graduated with the journalism degree but then he dedicated all his free time to learning how to program, and now he's working as a programmer at a company that creates software for medical services and hospitals. Another friend of mine did some college but dropped out and kept teaching himself how to program and eventually he landed a programming gig at a local company. He actually wrote a program that did his first boss's job so he got promoted, and then he wrote a program that performed the tasks of his new boss, so he got promoted again! (He's also really crazily smart so that helps :))

Anywho, these people and other cases I've seen around the internet tell me it's more than possible to teach yourself how to program if you're dedicated enough, and can even make a career out of it.

I hope some of this helps. Regards.

edit: Here are some good links that might help you with coding:
http://www.codecademy.com/
https://www.codeschool.com/
http://code.org/learn
http://codeschool.org/
http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
http://c.learncodethehardway.org/book/
http://imgur.com/9V6fuxG

boots.xiv
November 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM
@Bucky Ball: Thanks a bunch! I checked out those links and two items grab my interest: Gnucash as you suggested, and KMyMoney for personal finance. I can actually put both programs to use for myself, and tinker "under the hood" at the same time.

@tgalati4: Now thats a perspective I haven't considered before...incorporating my interests in computer science into my current occupation. I guess it only makes sense. The article you linked to intrigued me, especially as I happen to work for an NPO. I'm sure I'm still quite underqualified but it really is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to be involved in, and I'm starting to get a feel for how this community works together to create these solutions.

Can you tell me if ERP and CRM tools will play with a windows system? As awesome as linux is, I don't see myself moving away from windows completely for some time yet. It's all windows at work, including our accounting software.

@ubuntuman001: Again, your post is precisely why I started this thread. I wanted to get an idea of what other people had done, especially those who may have already been well established in other careers, like QIII. I can't go to university like you're doing, but it's becoming obvious that's no excuse. Is there any other field as wealthy in free knowledge as computer sciences? The replies I've received in this thread have made something very clear to me: my interest in computers and programming is not an exercise in futility, and whether I fully transition into a career or not, there is lots to do and learn. Thanks for the vote of confidence, and those resources. It feels good to get excited about computers again.

Bucky Ball
November 6th, 2014, 09:01 AM
Don't be so sure a career in Linux is out of the question. Since XP died we have had a literal tidal wave of new users on the forum. It is shifting sands and who knows where we'll be in a decade (and by then we'll be living an extra 20 years, possibly, so 39 is PAH, nothing).

Just for the record, I went back to uni when I was 46, did a degree and honours and have just put in my proposal to be accepted for PhD candidature. Nothing to do with Linux or computer science, but ... ;)

mastablasta
November 6th, 2014, 12:03 PM
@tgalati4: Now thats a perspective I haven't considered before...incorporating my interests in computer science into my current occupation. I guess it only makes sense. The article you linked to intrigued me, especially as I happen to work for an NPO. I'm sure I'm still quite underqualified but it really is exactly the kind of thing I'd love to be involved in, and I'm starting to get a feel for how this community works together to create these solutions.

I work in sales though I studied advertising & marketing. since I got bored with a routine in sales I do other small projects. suggest various improvements to IT and sometimes even do them on my own. I know devs dont' like sales people, but I do tend to write down specifications quite thoroughly and if they have a better option I am always ready to discuss it and use it. as long as it work. I just know how things should be but not how to make them. sometimes I would create small improvements for department myself or together with IT. they often use my small projects as success stories when they mess up and make it look like they came up with the solution. I don't mind that much. since all these are ment to make my work easier, faster, more efficient. and it's always rewarding when you solve a problem after others said "it can't be done"... :P

Can you tell me if ERP and CRM tools will play with a windows system? As awesome as linux is, I don't see myself moving away from windows completely for some time yet. It's all windows at work, including our accounting software.

what do you mean? ERP such as SAP or Oracle have Linux and Windows clients.

tgalati4
November 6th, 2014, 04:07 PM
If Windows can run a browser (such as Firefox or Google Chrome), then you can use any of the services that I have linked. They are all web-based servers with browser clients.

How much does your NPO spend per year in license and support fees for your current accounting system?

One career strategy to consider--write a program that can completely perform your job. You will get programming experience; your company will save money; you will get recognition; and you will lose your job. But that becomes your career transition.

The open source community is here for the sole purpose to expand your mind. If I have an apple and you have an apple, and I give you one of my apples, then I have no apples and you have two apples. And I'm still hungry. But if you have an idea and I have an idea, and we share ideas, then we both have two ideas. And I can then eat my apple.

Someone please help me find the link for this apple story.

boots.xiv
November 7th, 2014, 09:25 AM
Don't be so sure a career in Linux is out of the question. Since XP died we have had a literal tidal wave of new users on the forum. It is shifting sands and who knows where we'll be in a decade (and by then we'll be living an extra 20 years, possibly, so 39 is PAH, nothing).

Just for the record, I went back to uni when I was 46, did a degree and honours and have just put in my proposal to be accepted for PhD candidature. Nothing to do with Linux or computer science, but ... :wink:

Good on you BB!! I have looked into getting a degree in computer sciences, but at this point the time and financial commitments are just to much. But I'll be focusing on linux from here on in, so I'm definitely not ruling out a career. Going back to my reasons for starting this thread, if there is anything you guys have shown me, it's that this isn't just some impossible dream. And in all reality, even if I don't manage to turn this into a career, I'm bound to have some fun along the way.

I work in sales though I studied advertising & marketing. since I got bored with a routine in sales I do other small projects. suggest various improvements to IT and sometimes even do them on my own. I know devs dont' like sales people, but I do tend to write down specifications quite thoroughly and if they have a better option I am always ready to discuss it and use it. as long as it work. I just know how things should be but not how to make them. sometimes I would create small improvements for department myself or together with IT. they often use my small projects as success stories when they mess up and make it look like they came up with the solution. I don't mind that much. since all these are ment to make my work easier, faster, more efficient. and it's always rewarding when you solve a problem after others said "it can't be done"... :razz:

what do you mean? ERP such as SAP or Oracle have Linux and Windows clients.

Hmmm...I guess I still wasn't quite getting it. I was under the impression that ERP and CRM were stand alone programs. Is it kind of like an API, that is being used by multiple software vendors in their own products?

If Windows can run a browser (such as Firefox or Google Chrome), then you can use any of the services that I have linked. They are all web-based servers with browser clients.

How much does your NPO spend per year in license and support fees for your current accounting system?

One career strategy to consider--write a program that can completely perform your job. You will get programming experience; your company will save money; you will get recognition; and you will lose your job. But that becomes your career transition.

The open source community is here for the sole purpose to expand your mind. If I have an apple and you have an apple, and I give you one of my apples, then I have no apples and you have two apples. And I'm still hungry. But if you have an idea and I have an idea, and we share ideas, then we both have two ideas. And I can then eat my apple.

Someone please help me find the link for this apple story.

The software we use is called Sage 50 Canadian Edition, and it costs us just under $1000 per year for licensing and support and a subscription for automatic payroll deductions calculations. It's not specifically designed for NPOs, more for small to medium size business, but it works really well for us. I have no idea if/how it would work with ERP or CRM.

So you really can have your apple and eat it too, huh?;) Everything I love about technology and computing is embodied in the open source community and I'm glad for the opportunity to be a part of it. I'm definitely going to incorporate my education into my current occupation, and see what happens.

tgalati4
November 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Some more apples:

http://sfconservancy.org/campaign/

http://charity.lovetoknow.com/charitable-organizations/free-accounting-software-nonprofits

http://www.notforprofitsoftware.com/osas.htm

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Features/Wanted-A-Free-Accounting-Application-for-Non-Profits

$1000/year is cheap and probably not enough of an incentive to switch to an open-source alternative, especially if they are handling payroll as well. But it would be a useful exercise to compare features and functionality to the open-source projects. Perhaps you can help to advance one of those projects to add missing functionality.

matt_symes
November 7th, 2014, 04:15 PM
I abruptly changed direction in my 40s and remade myself. In my 50s now, I am considering doing it again just for fun. It is never too late.

This is true. That's not an avatar but an *actual photo* of QIII 0_o

/me runs for cover.

nothingspecial
November 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM
I was a fishmonger, then I got Ubuntu, then I was privileged to become Ubuntu forums staff, then I got a job with a big media company moderating their social media, now I work for them in IT.

So yes it can be done.

However, sometimes I wish I was still a fishmonger.

andrew.46
November 7th, 2014, 10:21 PM
Simply allow yourself to be open to changes as they present themselves to you.....

boots.xiv
November 8th, 2014, 12:57 AM
I was a fishmonger, then I got Ubuntu, then I was privileged to become Ubuntu forums staff, then I got a job with a big media company moderating their social media, now I work for them in IT.

So yes it can be done.

However, sometimes I wish I was still a fishmonger.

And that's the other side of the coin isn't it? Would I love it as much if it were my job instead of just a hobby? Because the truth is, I really do enjoy my current job. And computing may always be just a hobby for me. But I'm convinced now that it doesn't have to be, and that what is now just a hobby may pay off in a big way in the future.

You've given me a bushel already tgalati4! I've received more from this thread than I could have imagined, namely a purpose. So here it is: Learn to code (I've started with C, I like C, so I'm learning C. C++ and Python are next); Learn Linux (I'm an Ubuntu fanboy already); Contribute to open-source projects. And thanks to you, I've discovered I may already possess some skills that I can utilize in that area.

Time to bake an apple pie!

bashiergui
November 8th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Since XP died we have had a literal tidal wave of new users on the forumWow, can you share numbers? That's rather surprising. In my experience people that love Windows stick with it.

Bucky Ball
November 8th, 2014, 02:04 AM
I deal with at least a dozen first time posters a day that have joined this month or last. No idea of numbers. ;)

Most of them have leapt from XP and some of them are just sick of Windows.

It appears that while some people love Windows (and probably stick with it) others don't particularly love it and use Windows because they are either unaware that there is an alternative or are not ready to try what alternatives there are, for whatever reason.

tgalati4
November 8th, 2014, 04:35 PM
Interesting study of computer language versus software quality. http://beta.slashdot.org/story/209419

gordintoronto
November 9th, 2014, 03:11 AM
Is your firm large enough that it has a full-time IT person (or team)? Is your community large enough that there are accounting firms with an IT department? Is there potential for you to take on IT responsibilities within your firm, as well as (?) bookkeeping?

I'm a consultant, and my primary client is an accounting firm of 15 people. In "steady state" the firm needs about 20 hours a week of IT support. (Smart accountants are very inventive in ways they can mess up their computers!) However, the firm did a workstation technology refresh this year, and it moved, and we must move to a new server version soon. Fortunately, I found a partner who can do the heavy lifting. In the longer term, he will take over, and I will be his backup. (I'm old!)

I made a total career change when I was 40. When I was 38, I made a conscious decision, "if I ever get a chance to do ..., I will take it." And then it came along. I loved it, until I became a full-time caregiver for my wife, who had MS. (Life can be so effing random....)

Just recently, it has occurred to me that a woman who works at the firm as a bookkeeper, has the skills to do a lot of the IT support job. This might get her a modest raise.

Now the down side: the firm's workstations have about 140 applications installed, and none of them work under Linux. Even the server has non-Linux requirements.

flaymond
November 9th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I really wanna share my thoughts and opinions about your thread...but with my grammar (awful)..i just can give you...'a thing'.

-" People like to be everyone, everything in the world including rains from the sky. In fact, they can. As they still dreaming it, wanting it, and hard work on it, they can achieve it no matter what happen"
-" A man never knows what he want while he still alive, untill death came nearby"
-" Don't be afraid to failure, be afraid to not to try."

If you want to be in this field, go for it. Even, you still have a good job and good incomes, just achieve it if you really want it. You invest your time to achieve your dream is not same as your life that you living by now. It's a quite adventure to try something new. Stop wishing, start doing.

Bucky Ball
November 9th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I really wanna share my thoughts and opinions about your thread...but with my grammar (awful)..i just can give you...'a thing'.

-" People like to be everyone, everything in the world including rains from the sky. In fact, they can. As they still dreaming it, wanting it, and hard work on it, they can achieve it no matter what happen"
-" A man never knows what he want while he still alive, untill dead came nearby"

If you want to be in this field, go for it. Even, you still have a good job and good incomes, just achieve it if you really want it. You invest your time to achieve your dream is not same as your life that you living by now. It's a quite adventure to try something new. Stop wishing, start doing.

You are indeed a rich person, Interprog.

john_jones2
November 9th, 2014, 04:54 PM
It's easier to change from accounting to IT, than the otherway arround.... Get some courses and certificates under your belt. Just use on day of the week to train your self. For courses i suggest Udemy. Sign up with them and wait for the $10 promotions. Quality for money way of learning! take different type of courses and find out what to you like. Once you figured that out, specialise on it and get some work experience via the odesks of these world. Than you know if you like the work and if you do, you'll probably find a job pretty quickly with the odesk work experience and your previous work experience.

boots.xiv
November 16th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Is your firm large enough that it has a full-time IT person (or team)? Is your community large enough that there are accounting firms with an IT department? Is there potential for you to take on IT responsibilities within your firm, as well as (?) bookkeeping?

I'm a consultant, and my primary client is an accounting firm of 15 people. In "steady state" the firm needs about 20 hours a week of IT support. (Smart accountants are very inventive in ways they can mess up their computers!) However, the firm did a workstation technology refresh this year, and it moved, and we must move to a new server version soon. Fortunately, I found a partner who can do the heavy lifting. In the longer term, he will take over, and I will be his backup. (I'm old!)

I made a total career change when I was 40. When I was 38, I made a conscious decision, "if I ever get a chance to do ..., I will take it." And then it came along. I loved it, until I became a full-time caregiver for my wife, who had MS. (Life can be so effing random....)

Just recently, it has occurred to me that a woman who works at the firm as a bookkeeper, has the skills to do a lot of the IT support job. This might get her a modest raise.

Now the down side: the firm's workstations have about 140 applications installed, and none of them work under Linux. Even the server has non-Linux requirements.

It's really interesting you should mention this, as this is exactly my situation. I currently work for a an organization that administers low income and seniors housing for my province, and I happen to also be the head of our IT "department." I put that in quotes because it's just myself, and anything I can't handle gets taken care of by an IT firm we contract with. So I'm getting to do some IT stuff which is great but my main duties are keeping me plenty busy enough. I definitely enjoy tech support, and it really is great how my current job incorporates that as well, but I think if I were to really pursue a career in computers it would be more in programming and development.

-" A man never knows what he want while he still alive, untill death came nearby"

Thanks InterProg! This thread really has reinspired me. I'm diving back into my programming textbook, and as always I mess around "under the hood" of my computers. I'm going to get serious and focused and see where it all leads. If for some reason in the end a total career change isn't in the cards, I'm getting the idea it won't have been a waste of time. Whether on my own project or someone else's, there seems to be no shortage of things to work on. But that is the beauty of open-source software. If my understanding is correct, VLC Media Player is totally a volunteer driven product.

It's easier to change from accounting to IT, than the otherway arround.... Get some courses and certificates under your belt. Just use on day of the week to train your self. For courses i suggest Udemy. Sign up with them and wait for the $10 promotions. Quality for money way of learning! take different type of courses and find out what to you like. Once you figured that out, specialise on it and get some work experience via the odesks of these world. Than you know if you like the work and if you do, you'll probably find a job pretty quickly with the odesk work experience and your previous work experience.

I checked out Udemy, and boy did that answer my question about whether or not an education that doesn't cost an arm and a leg can be had. As it turns out, the authors of the textbook I'm reading have courses on Udemy, just not on the C programming language. They have courses on C++, Java and a few others.