PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] package upgrades

Anayonkar.Shivalkar
November 4th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Hello,

I have a very basic question about Ubuntu upgrades.

I've been using Ubuntu for a while now and have always made a practice to use latest version. However, as of now, I chose to stick with 14.04 LTS (instead of upgrading to 14.10).

My question is: do I still get all package upgrades from 14.10? That is, if a package is upgraded on 14.10 - will I automatically get that upgrade on 14.04? Or I'll have to wait till next point release (14.04.2)?

Thanks.

qamelian
November 4th, 2014, 02:02 PM
In general, packages are frozen at a specific application version for the life of an Ubuntu release. While security patches will get backported, the actual applications won't get upgraded to newer versions. If you want the version included in a later Ubuntu release, you will need to either upgrade to that release or find a PPA that will allow you to upgrade the application on your current Ubuntu release.

Anayonkar.Shivalkar
November 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM
In general, packages are frozen at a specific application version for the life of an Ubuntu release. While security patches will get backported, the actual applications won't get upgraded to newer versions. If you want the version included in a later Ubuntu release, you will need to either upgrade to that release or find a PPA that will allow you to upgrade the application on your current Ubuntu release.
Thanks a lot for quick reply!