PDA

View Full Version : What is the objective of the ubuntu web browser?

user1397
November 3rd, 2014, 07:30 AM
I don't use it for anything nor does any program seem to use it. Am I missing something?

I'm talking about the one called "Browser" when you search for browser in your unity apps.

deadflowr
November 3rd, 2014, 07:48 AM
It's suppose to be used when launching web-apps.

Like for example if you go to launchpad, while using the normal broswer, you might get a pop-up window for something that says, Install launchpad web-app to start launchpad quickly.
If you select Ok, or Install, it'll add a launcher for Launchpad to the unity dock/thingy.
Then if you try to open that Launcher, the Ubuntu-Broswer will launch, instead of the normal(firefox/chromium/take-your-pick) browser.

sffvba[e0rt
November 3rd, 2014, 07:58 AM
It is part of the push for convergence AFAIK. I guess what ever tweaks, tricks and looks that land in the phone version will come to the desktop etc.

user1397
November 3rd, 2014, 05:21 PM
Oh ok gotcha, that makes sense.

grahammechanical
November 3rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
Ubuntu Web Browser is the web broswer for Ubuntu phones and tablets. I have installed Ubuntu Desktop Next. All I get at the moment is the phone UI with its applications. It runs full screen. Browser works great. It makes use of mobile versions of web sites. Including the mobile version of this site.

I must admit that I do not understand why Browser is in 14.04 or 14.10. Every time I try to use it the desktop will freeze .

Regards.

sffvba[e0rt
November 4th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I must admit that I do not understand why Browser is in 14.04 or 14.10.

It is the default to open web apps. And yes, it doesn't work that well :/ (Which is stupid to do on an LTS release >.>)

/ADM
November 4th, 2014, 12:27 PM
IMO it would be better to have a desktop web-container app that loads up these web-apps for use on desktop machines. Many programs use things like this. If I recall there is a text editor from adobe that uses a HTML5 shell to run and I think Github's 'Atom' works in this way too.

It would be better for convergence, use a web-based container for phones and tablets but a desktop container for laptops and desktops.

user1397
November 4th, 2014, 07:47 PM
IMO it would be better to have a desktop web-container app that loads up these web-apps for use on desktop machines.Isn't this what the ubuntu web browser is?