PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] FAT32 USB flash drives always mount as root, read only as user

wandrson
November 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
At some point in the past, my desktop machine has stopped allowing read/write access to any of the usb flash drives (formatted FAT32).

They all default to root user ownership, and require root access to write to the drive.

I have scoured the web for similar problems, which I have found, but none of the solutions seem to correct my problem.

One solution that seemed to offer some possibility was to reformat the drive from my ubuntu machine. That worked, until I rebooted the machine and then it went back to the default behavior of read only for the non-root user.

I am now starting to use several encrypted usb flash drives and can not reformat them. They work on other ubuntu machines, but not the one on my desktop.

Any suggestions

Oh, I also get this window when I connect the drive, but it is still accessible from the root account

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kiKiYKrSl9akR2OEJmS1NpeU0/view?usp=sharinghttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-kiKiYKrSl9akR2OEJmS1NpeU0/view?usp=sharing

mc4man
November 3rd, 2014, 12:16 AM
You may want to -
post what release of Ubuntu, the current & recent default for external/removable media is to mount to /media/username/volume label or UUID
Post contents of /etc/fstab
And just to see, should return nothing -

cd
ls -l | grep root

wandrson
November 3rd, 2014, 10:49 PM
Thanks!

I am currently running release 14.04; however, this machines started our with 11.10 and has gone through regular updates. This problem first showed up with 13.? about a year ago.

When I first format a usb flash drive it will mount under /media/username/volume label however, the next time I plug it in it mounts as root access under /media/usb#

my fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
# / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=f765eb57-02f8-457e-b55c-d191aa5a8245 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=8a2adc17-6d56-4a68-952e-4e227c16547e none swap sw 0 0
# Additional drive mounts
/dev/sdb /home/wandrson ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdc /media/EXP01 ext4 defaults 0 0
/dev/sdd /home/wandrson/Public ext4 defaults 0 0
#usbfs for virtualbox