PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Start up disk creator failure

exodus3
November 2nd, 2014, 01:15 AM
i am trying to re-instal the ubuntu OS onto my jump drive again [don't ask] but its just not working
when i plug the jump into the port ,disk creator says there is not enough room and i have to reformat it,even tho i just did a full format on windows first
so i go ahead and lead disk creator re-format the jump drive ,after 15 secs this window pops up,but it is still showing as erasing

after 20 mins the erasing is done, but i am back at square one again

yancek
November 2nd, 2014, 04:30 AM
Not sure what the error means. Have you tried formatting with GParted. If you were formatting from windows does that mean a vfat filesystem?

exodus3
November 2nd, 2014, 07:12 AM
my jump has always been formatted in the NTFS format

sudodus
November 2nd, 2014, 08:31 AM
Is jump another word for USB pendrive, USB stick, USB flash drive?

The Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator wants the USB drive to be formated with FAT32 (or FAT16). See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

You can use gparted to create the FAT32 file system (in Ubuntu). If you are working in Windows, you can use the Windows own tool to format it to FAT32.

If you want persistence and want to install Ubuntu 14.10, use Unetbootin. There is a bug (for 14.10) in the Startup Disk Creator, but if you want to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, it will work.

-o-

Otherwise, if you 'only' want a live drive and to install Ubuntu from it, use mkusb from Ubuntu or Win32 Disk Imager from Windows. Those tools need no formatting because they simply clone the iso file to the USB drive. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Known_Issues

exodus3
November 2nd, 2014, 10:52 AM
Is jump another word for USB pendrive, USB stick, USB flash drive?

The Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator wants the USB drive to be formated with FAT32 (or FAT16). See this link

Is jump another word for USB pendrive, USB stick, USB flash drive

all of the above and i've also heard it called a thumb drive,,seems the U does not apply to what people call it

format the jump to fat32 solved the disk creator problem ..thanks