PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Screen dims on AC power.

jason146
November 1st, 2014, 06:44 PM
I am new to Linux systems and just installed Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my Dell Inspiron N5110.

My screen dims, does not go black, just dims, when I plug in the AC power adapter. I have adjusted the normal settings. I have adjusted the settings in dconf-editor and followed the sintructions here: http://www.maketecheasier.com/configure-screen-brightness-in-ubuntu/

I never got the brightness indicator icon on the tray.

I have installed caffeine.

I have tried searching the forums and what I found either did not quite fit my problem, or the suggested fixes were not clear enough for a noob like me.

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.

jason146
November 8th, 2014, 05:20 AM
I got the brightness indicator/adjuster installed on the tray. However, I still have the same dimming issue.

buzzingrobot
November 8th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Have you tried the xbacklight solution mentioned at the end of that MakeTechEasier piece? It's usually used to decrease brightness, but can be set at "100". I've used it on a display that goes very dim when the login screen appears.

jason146
November 8th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Yes, I did that and set it to 100.

claracc
November 9th, 2014, 07:51 AM
I think, you can find insteresting to solve your problem, the following thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2199695

Read all the comments since there are different approaches to the brightness problem.

jason146
November 9th, 2014, 04:19 PM
Have you tried the xbacklight solution mentioned at the end of that MakeTechEasier piece? It's usually used to decrease brightness, but can be set at "100". I've used it on a display that goes very dim when the login screen appears.

I went back and doube checked the startup app info. There was one add-on that was not complete. I believe it was my first attempt to do the backlight solution. I deleted it so that I only had the one completed backlight add-on.

It looks like that solved the problem. However, I would like to wait another day to verify the fix before I mark this thread as solved.

Thanks for the help everybody.

jason146
November 9th, 2014, 11:42 PM
I have been on the laptop for about an hour now and it looks to be solved.

Thanks again folks.

nholloway2007
March 7th, 2015, 04:12 AM
I'm having the same problem on Ubuntu Mate 14.10; I checked dconf-editor, and I don't have a power setting under org>gnome>settings-daemon>plugins. Any help?