PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unity - How to create "Subfolder(s)"?

Malmberg
November 1st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Gents,

Excuse me if this question has been raised before - I have done several search s - without luck :-)

Here we go:
Is there a way to create a Subfolder in Unity? I would like to make a folder for - lets say - my "Audio-Video Apps"

Thanks in advance
Steen

mcduck
November 1st, 2014, 05:22 PM
I assume you mean creating them in the Dash menu or the Launcher panel?

Neither one supports folders or submenus directly, but for the Launcher panel you can use the quicklist functionality for a similar result. I'm not sure if there's any graphiccal tool for making them, but creating/editing the .desktop flles by hand works and isn't awfully complicated...

For example, this is the .desktop file I use for my Minecraft launcher, with a right-click submenu that ahs options to launch various additional tools:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=false
#Icon[en_US]=/home/mcduck/Programs/Minecraft/creeper.png
Exec=/home/mcduck/Programs/Minecraft/minecraft.sh
Name[en_US]=Minecraft
Name=Minecraft
Icon=/usr/share/icons/Moka/256x256/apps/minecraft.png

X-Ayatana-Desktop-Shortcuts=Technic;ATLauncher;Server;Minutor;

[Technic Shortcut Group]
Name=Technick Pack Launcher
Exec=/home/mcduck/Programs/Minecraft/technic.sh
OnlyShowIn=Unity

[ATLauncher Shortcut Group]
Name=ATLauncher
Exec=/home/mcduck/Programs/Minecraft/atlauncher.sh
OnlyShowIn=Unity

[Server Shortcut Group]
Name=Minecraft Server
Exec=gnome-terminal -x /home/mcduck/Programs/Minecraft\ Server/mcserver.sh
OnlyShowIn=Unity

[Minutor Shortcut Group]
Name=Minutor
Exec=minutor
OnlyShowIn=Unity

edit: This might be interestign option as well, although I have never tried it so I can't tell any details about how well it works: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/the-ubuntu-unity-launcher-gets-a-facelift-with-unity-drawers/

grahammechanical
November 1st, 2014, 05:28 PM
I use the file manager to open the folder and then I right click the background of the file manager window and I select New Folder. I then select the folder and a right click will give me the option to Rename the folder.

This is a function of the file manager and not necessarily of Unity. Perhaps you are meaning a sub folder in the menu that appears when we right click an icon in the Launcher. It is not clear what you want.

Regards.

sandyd
November 1st, 2014, 08:10 PM
Moved to Desktop Environments

whitesmith
November 1st, 2014, 09:00 PM
In the (somewhat unlikely since Unity is in your post) possibility that you want to create one from the terminal, here's how to do it. Move to the directory where you want the subdirectory to be. Let's say the directory is called /test and the subdirectory should be test_1.Now,
cd /test
sudo mkdir test_1It really is that simple. The sudo part is needed because you have limited permissions outside your home directory (variously styled as ~ and $HOME). This info, and much more, is in the 2nd reference in my sig line. Remember, All directories should have 775 permissions, unless you have a good reason for something different. G'Day!

buzzingrobot
November 1st, 2014, 09:48 PM
Gents,

Excuse me if this question has been raised before - I have done several search s - without luck :-)

Here we go:
Is there a way to create a Subfolder in Unity? I would like to make a folder for - lets say - my "Audio-Video Apps"

Thanks in advance
Steen

A "subfolder" is just a folder created "inside" another folder. As others have outlined, they can be created and named with the file manager or by using the "mkdir" command in the terminal. The results are the same.

Malmberg
November 2nd, 2014, 01:59 PM
My mistake!

What I actually meant was "How to create a folder in The Launcher" - that could hold several programs!

Sorry for the confusion!

Cheers
Steen

Malmberg
November 2nd, 2014, 02:04 PM
Hi "mcduck"

Your hint - The "unity-drawes" did the trick!

Thanks