PDA

View Full Version : partition editing, sizing deleting, booting...

johnmstroup
October 31st, 2014, 06:39 AM
First of all, I love Ubuntu. Quick [less than a min. to be up and running], light, tailor made [just the stuff you want].
One of the difficulties that I've run into is incompatability with downloadable material [Kindle] that only likes MS. Can
these be opened in wine?

My machine is a refurbished Dell E-6410, ex-lease. Good machine that should last me for several years and everything works.

In trying to get the windows 7 reanimated [that came loaded on the machine when I purchased it but now does not work]
and perhaps loading win8 [which we own a copy of] onto this so as to be able to more easily use Kindle material, I got my boot
[sequence?] out of whack, and had to reload Ubuntu 14.04 [which did not overwrite to correct problems] on a new partition. All
of my stuff is in the old not bootable partition as it is accessable as a "XXXGB Volume" and can be booted to in a menu now that
the other OS is loaded.

What I am trying to do is reload Ubuntu 14.04 so as to fix the boot issue, then delete the unused new version of Ubuntu and the new partition
that is sitting over there unused. I've tried this once already, and the boot issues come back when the unused Ubuntu 14.04 and partition
are deleted. Why have a duplicate OS in a partition not being used, just taking/blocking up space. Seems silly to keep it and it'll free more disk.

I am fairly sure that this a very simple fix for some, but this has got me flummoxed.

When I get this sorted, my plan is to try and open kindle file in wine, so as to not have to use MS at all.

I am a builder/carpenter by trade [not IT, should be obvious] and I don't think that a hammer will fix this. But I am pretty handy and can follow
perscriptive directions, so not stupid, though this is making me feel that way sometimes. Any help? I was reading through some of the topics,
and there may be a close situation, but non that I could see was the "same".

Bucky Ball
October 31st, 2014, 06:43 AM
Welcome. Try Boot Repair. It is your friend. ;)

Get Boot Repair:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Yannbuntu's thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1769482