PDA

View Full Version : The Fight Ahead

bobbybobington
July 29th, 2006, 05:23 AM
I was checking out linuxtoday.com and came about this (http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2262&Itemid=449)article that i think really describes quite well what linux is facing. Its message is simple, major linux vendors must push for preinstalled linux hardware or face the consequences. There is a problem too that we have created, we dont market linux to the public enough. Most of the time we go to linux conferences and conventions. Linux has got to stop hiding in its community. More specificaly Ubuntu and other major linux distros and vendor have got to pressure hardware companies and "get the message out" at more "linuxless" conventions with a common goal to push linux to the public.

djsroknrol
July 29th, 2006, 03:40 PM
The problem is there's nothing in it for the hardware vendors...why bother to support something when MS is where the money is...

Ubuntu - All and all, you are doing some great things. You have definitely taken the idea of a usable Linux support system up a notch. But until all of you can get a handle on your hardware support (not blaming you specifically), I do see some problems moving forward out of the niche market.

That was cold, and not entirely true..IMO, hardware support is pretty darn good....