PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to 14.10 or stay on 14.04.1?

UDroidie626
October 28th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Okay so with the release of 14.10 I was wondering if I should upgrade, I have on my laptop but not my desktop, the reason I am asking is because I cant install AMD catalyst on 14.10, using the software & updates centre, I cant select the upgrade, it just asks for my password then the bar starts moving then it just finishes and says no proprietary software installed, even after a reboot it continues to say this.

So should I just upgrade the kernel in 14.04 or upgrade the whole system?

yancek
October 28th, 2014, 01:20 AM
If everything is working on 14.04 there is no reason to upgrade, just keep up with security updates. 14.04 will be supported for years after support for 14.10 ends which is another reason to stay with i.

kurt18947
October 28th, 2014, 01:39 AM
If everything is working on 14.04 there is no reason to upgrade, just keep up with security updates. 14.04 will be supported for years after support for 14.10 ends which is another reason to stay with i.

This is my thinking as well. It's a nice service to the community to run non-LTS versions for reporting bugs but unless I had hardware that was only supported by the latest version, 14.04 is working very well for me. There's nothing saying you can't have both the LTS version and use the non-LTS versions for non-critical work just to see how it behaves. In-place upgrades haven't had the greatest history and with 9 month support periods on non-LTS versions I don't believe I'd use the non-LTS version for serious work.

sammiev
October 28th, 2014, 01:58 AM
I would try 14.10 on a USB stick live first and if it works, then decide whether to install 14.10 or the latest kernel. I would suggest the latest kernel myself.

grahammechanical
October 28th, 2014, 02:24 AM
If you move off of 14.04 and on to 14.10 you will then have to go on to 15.04. Interim releases only have 9 months support. I know it is a silly question, but when you try to install a proprietary video driver is the machine connected to the internet? Also make sure that Proprietary drivers for devices (Restricted) is ticked in Software and Updates.

Regards.