PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading UbuntuGNOME to 14.10, purging GNOME3 Staging PPA

pertti
October 27th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade my UbuntuGNOME from 14.04.1 to 14.10. I have also installed both GNOME3 Team PPAs (https://launchpad.net/~gnome3-team/+archive/ubuntu/gnome3), regular and staging. As recommended in the release notes, I want to remove the staging PPA before upgrading, so I issue the following command:

sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3-staging

After checking dependencies and all, ppa-purge tells me that I cannot find the "trusty" version of some packages, and offers me a solution that includes removing some key packages, including gdm and gnome-shell. None of the other solutions offered by ppa-purge (at least the twenty or so that I reviewed) is a good one, IMHO. It seems that the gnome3-staging PPA installed a bunch of packages to satisfy dependencies of newer packages, and then it's unable to find a downgrade path for these packages (e.g. libmutter0d was installed, but Ubuntu repos have libmutter0c, which has a different name).

For the record, this is part of the output. Sorry for the Spanish messages (first lines say roughly "E: Couldn't find distribution «trusty» for «package»")

E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «gir1.2-tracker-1.0»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libcamel-1.2-49»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libgdata19»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libgfbgraph-0.2-0»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libgnome-desktop-3-10»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libmutter0d»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libtracker-control-1.0-0»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libtracker-miner-1.0-0»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libtracker-sparql-1.0-0»
E: No se encontró la Distribución «trusty» para «libupower-glib3»

And then the first suggestion (first packages to be removed, then packages to be kept in the current version, and then unresolved dependencies):

Eliminar los paquetes siguientes:
1) evolution
2) evolution-data-server
3) evolution-data-server-online-accounts
4) evolution-indicator
5) evolution-plugins
6) gdm
7) gir1.2-mutter-3.0
8) gnome-contacts
9) gnome-shell
10) gnome-shell-extensions
11) libfolks-eds25
12) mutter
13) nvidia-prime
14) ubuntu-gnome-desktop

Mantener los paquetes siguientes en la versión actual:
15) libmutter0c [Sin instalar]

Dejar las siguientes dependencias sin resolver:
16) evolution-common recomienda evolution
17) libfolks25 recomienda libfolks-eds25
18) nvidia-331 recomienda nvidia-prime (>= 0.5) | bumblebee
19) empathy recomienda gnome-contacts
20) libupower-glib3 recomienda upower (> 0.99)

If I recall correctly, last time I tried purging GNOME3 Team PPA before upgrading (to 14.04? I'm not sure) I had a similar experience. That time I blindly accepted ppa-purge suggestion, and spent a while fixing the mess I had gotten myself into. It was not pretty, but eventually I got through. This is a different system, installed from scratch from 14.04.

Hast anybody experienced a similar problem when upgrading UbuntuGNOME/purging GNOME3 PPAs? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!