PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] [lubuntu] How to Configure Desktop Notifications

Dennis N
October 26th, 2014, 01:21 AM
How do I configure Desktop notifications in Lubuntu? I can find no preferences or settings anywhere for this. In the screenshot, the default settings encroach on the window title bar and controls and this needs to be moved elsewhere. Also, there should be other styles. This is Lubuntu 14.04. Thanks.

EDIT:

OK, I found the solution to access a dialog using the command line. In case anyone needs this information:
Using this command will bring up a small dialog controlling the position and style.

dmn@Sydney:~$ xfce4-notifyd-config

EDIT #2:

See Post #5 for how to get an entry for Notifications in Lubuntu's menu under Preferences.

JKyleOKC
October 26th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Works under Xubuntu also. Thanks!

vasa1
October 26th, 2014, 06:19 PM
OK, I found the solution to access a dialog using the command line. In case anyone needs this information:
Using this command will bring up a small dialog controlling the position and style.

dmn@Sydney:~$ xfce4-notifyd-config
The corresponding .desktop file is here: /usr/share/applications/xfce4-notifyd-config.desktop and the notifications can be themed, to some extent, by editing /usr/share/themes/theme_name/xfce-notify-4.0/gtkrc.

Dennis N
October 26th, 2014, 06:57 PM
The corresponding .desktop file is here: /usr/share/applications/xfce4-notifyd-config.desktop and the notifications can be themed, to some extent, by editing /usr/share/themes/theme_name/xfce-notify-4.0/gtkrc.

I am using the Lubuntu dark panel theme, but I don't see any xfce-notify-4.0 folder in /usr/share/themes/Lubuntu-dark-panel/ or in the Lubuntu-Default theme. What theme are you using?

In Lubuntu 14.10, the appearance of the notifications are not right and need to be fixed. Maybe it is possible with that file. They are fine in Lubuntu 14.04

Dennis N
October 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM
vasa1's mentioning the .desktop file got me to thinking that it might be preventing the dialog from appearing in Lubuntu's "Preferences" menu.

Sure enough, if you examine /usr/share/applications/xfce4-notifyd-config.desktop you will find a line OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

If you comment out this line (change it to #OnlyShowIn=XFCE;) you will then get a menu entry as Preferences > Notifications that brings up the same dialog. I also cleaned up the Categories line to just Categories=GTK;Settings;

vasa1
October 27th, 2014, 02:30 AM
vasa1's mentioning the .desktop file got me to thinking that it might be preventing the dialog from appearing in Lubuntu's "Preferences" menu.

Sure enough, if you examine /usr/share/applications/xfce4-notifyd-config.desktop you will find a line OnlyShowIn=XFCE;

If you comment out this line (change it to #OnlyShowIn=XFCE;) you will then get a menu entry as Preferences > Notifications that brings up the same dialog. I also cleaned up the Categories line to just Categories=GTK;Settings;
My bad!

That's one of some .desktop files I've copied over to ~/.local/share/applications and then "cleaned up": the local .desktop file looks like this:
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Name=Notifications
Comment=Customize how notifications appear on your screen
Exec=xfce4-notifyd-config
Icon=xfce4-notifyd
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=true
Type=Application
Categories=XFCE;GTK;Settings;DesktopSettings;X-XFCE-SettingsDialog;X-XFCE-PersonalSettings;
X-XfcePluggable=true

Dennis N
October 28th, 2014, 01:21 PM
The gtk-2.0/gtkrc file in the theme folders has include "assets/xfce4-notifyd.rc" so looking there, that file appears to define the colors of the background, button, etc. and it is a color match for Smoke (default) but not for ZOMG-PONIES!. Also, it defines a white border, and none have that. There should be additional configuration elsewhere for the style.

vasa1
November 3rd, 2014, 02:50 PM
The gtk-2.0/gtkrc file in the theme folders has include "assets/xfce4-notifyd.rc" so looking there, that file appears to define the colors of the background, button, etc. and it is a color match for Smoke (default) but not for ZOMG-PONIES!. Also, it defines a white border, and none have that. There should be additional configuration elsewhere for the style.

Sorry for the delay ... but I use the Greybird theme (part of shimmer-themes in the Software Center). I understand it's the default theme for Xubuntu. /usr/share/themes/Greybird/xfce-notify-4.0/gtkrc has this:
style "notify-window"
{
XfceNotifyWindow::summary-bold = 1
XfceNotifyWindow::border-color = "#ffffff"
XfceNotifyWindow::border-color-hover = "#ffffff"
XfceNotifyWindow::border-radius = 10.0
XfceNotifyWindow::border-width = 0.1
XfceNotifyWindow::border-width-hover = 0.1
bg[NORMAL] = "#111"
}

style "notify-button"
{
bg[NORMAL] = "#202020"
bg[PRELIGHT] = "#303030"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#222222"
fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff"
engine "murrine" {
border_shades = { 2.9, 2.6 }
shadow_shades = {2.4,2.4}
roundness = 4
}
}

style "notify-text"
{
fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
fg[PRELIGHT] = "#ffffff"
GtkWidget::link-color = "#a7a7a7"
}

style "notify-summary"
{
font_name = "Bold"
}

style "notify-progressbar"
{
GtkProgressBar::min-horizontal-bar-height = 4
xthickness = 0
ythickness = 0

fg[PRELIGHT] = "#000000"
bg[NORMAL] = "#fefefe"
bg[SELECTED] = "#fefefe"
bg[ACTIVE] = "#696969"

engine "murrine" {
gradient_shades = { 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0 }
contrast = 0.5
border_shades = { 0.9, 0.9 }
progressbarstyle = 0
}
}

class "XfceNotifyWindow" style "notify-window"
widget "XfceNotifyWindow.*.summary" style "notify-summary"
widget_class "XfceNotifyWindow.*<GtkButton>" style "notify-button"
widget_class "XfceNotifyWindow.*.<GtkLabel>" style "notify-text"
widget_class "XfceNotifyWindow.*.<GtkProgress>" style "notify-progressbar"
widget_class "XfceNotifyWindow.*.<GtkProgressBar>" style "notify-progressbar"

I won't pretend that I understand all of that but I changed some things (not shown above) about so that I get notifications I don't mind seeing.