PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu upgrade 14.04 to 14.10

amrithmmh
October 25th, 2014, 03:33 AM
When i am upgrading will i have to download 900mb complete ? I am concerned as i dont have high speed internet or bandwidth... How much i will b downloading?

kansasnoob
October 25th, 2014, 04:45 AM
In that case why upgrade at all?

Have you considered that 14.04 is supported until April 2019 whereas 14.10 is only supported until April 2015:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Bucky Ball
October 25th, 2014, 05:42 AM
In that case why upgrade at all?

This is the question. If everything is working fine in a long-term support release there's not a lot of point upgrading unless you have a specific reason. Might pay to check the forums at the moment. Lots of posts about problems after upgrading to 14.10. It has only been released for two days, so not unexpected. Always happens.

My motto? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I need my machines stable so stick to LTS releases and have a couple of spare partitions for doodling with interim releases and other distros if I feel the urge, which is rare.

Good luck.

vasa1
October 25th, 2014, 06:57 AM
When i am upgrading will i have to download 900mb complete ? I am concerned as i dont have high speed internet or bandwidth... How much i will b downloading?
Assume about 1 GB. I have a pathetic internet speed (~70 kB/s) but without a monthly cap. I think having an unlimited plan is the way to go.

I upgraded to 14.10 yesterday but as kansasnoob & Bucky Ball pointed out, staying with 14.04 is perfectly okay as well.

Frogs Hair
October 25th, 2014, 01:39 PM
If you don't need the the 3.16 kernel or want to use the Gnome Shell 3.12, 14.04 is good choice. If the upgrade process has begun via the update manager you might want to let it run its course.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/10/ubuntu-14-10-release-download-now

ian-weisser
October 25th, 2014, 02:15 PM
When i am upgrading will i have to download 900mb complete ?

Yes, it's a big download.
On a slow connection, you may or may not consider it worthwhile.

Alternatively, many Linux group meetings and installfests have high-speed access. Might be worth lugging your box to one of those.
Or you can download the 14.10 iso someplace else on a USB stick.

Bucky Ball
October 25th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Just a question: Are you upgrading for any particular reason? If not, 14.04 LTS is supported until April 2019 and 14.10 is supported for nine months. As it is a problem downloading large amounts perhaps you would be better to stick with the LTS releases, particularly is 14.04 LTS is working fine. There is no obligation or pressing need to upgrade to 14.10. It has only been out a few days (is it released?) and there are teething problems as evidenced by the threads on the forums. Always is with a new release, though.

Ok, a question and some thoughts. ;)