PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 14.10 killed desktop on home pc

sir-marky
October 24th, 2014, 08:38 PM
After updating to 14.10 on my home PC, I have no desktop.
I know the system is booting because I can SSH to it from my Android tablet (sadly I cannot use my laptop as 14.10 killed that one and won't find the boot SSD).
Yesterday I tried the earlier kernel and it did allow me in with slightly jagged icons, however 3.16 would not allow anything more than GRUB, some startup text flying by and then a blank screen. Today the ealier kernel has the same problem.

How can I reset all the X and driver settings to return it to a default state from which I can reinstall my NVIDIA drivers?

sir-marky
October 25th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Well after many hours going back and forth, almost there and then not, I have finally got the system back up and running.

The kernel will only work with nvidia driver 3.11 and no others. Not to pleased about that, but at least it's back for me right now.

Updates shouldn't be this much hard work. 14.10 has killed my laptop but not installing a MBR to allow it to boot or allow me to fix it and the desktop died because of a silly video issue that could have been avoided by doing a system check before committing the upgrade files and letting me know. <sigh>