PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] PC with Ubuntu 14.04 freezes up when browsing the Internet

Penguin360
October 24th, 2014, 07:54 PM
I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on a Dell Precision T1500 desktop PC and the installation went well. But every time I launch FireFox or Chrome and browse to a web page, the screen becomes very unresponsive, then eventually the computer freezes up and I will have to cold restart the computer.

It looks like a hardware issue, especially graphic card. Can someone shed some light on how to proceed to find the cause of the issue and how to fix it? BTW, reinstallation does not help.

Thanks,

Vladlenin5000
October 24th, 2014, 08:32 PM
You're correct about the possible root cause being the graphics cards (and drivers). Knowing that, why didn't you post the specs right away?

Penguin360
October 24th, 2014, 10:20 PM
You're correct about the possible root cause being the graphics cards (and drivers). Knowing that, why didn't you post the specs right away?

Yes sir. Attached is the hardware information of my computer generated by lshw with XML format. The file is too large for attachment, so I have to zip it first.

It seems that every time when I scroll my screen up and down several times, it will freeze the computer, even in the terminal window.

Vladlenin5000
October 25th, 2014, 12:07 AM
You have a Nvidia card with the open source driver.
System Settings > Software& Updates > "Additional Drivers" tab -> Select and install the recommended proprietary driver.

Penguin360
October 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM
You have a Nvidia card with the open source driver.
System Settings > Software& Updates > "Additional Drivers" tab -> Select and install the recommended proprietary driver.

You are the man!

I managed to have the proprietary driver installed before the PC freezes up again, and now it works fine. Thank you so much!