PDA

View Full Version : If you have been on the ten year Ubuntu ride you will like this.

irv
October 24th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Just read this article and found it to be the best, accurate take on Ubuntu. Scott Gilbertson did a great job in capturing Ubuntu's history. The article is entitled "Ten years of Ubuntu: How Linux’s beloved newcomer became its criticized king" (http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/ten-years-of-ubuntu-how-linuxs-beloved-newcomer-became-its-criticized-king/)
I think Unity 8 is going to be the make or break aspect of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is going in the same direction as Windows. (one OS fits them all).
It would be interesting to hear your take on this. I have mixed feelings after testing Unity 8 and keeping an eye on Windows 10.

craig10x
October 24th, 2014, 05:03 PM
The Unity 8 you tested is not really how it will be when then it's released as default on 16.04...so it's kind of premature to judge how it's going to be...what you are seeing now is more like it's phone/tablet version...over the next year and a half, the developers will be making a LOT of changes to the desktop version....In fact, i would imagine that in appearance, the desktop unity 8 probably won't be much different then unity 7 ;)
A big change (thanks to convergence with unity 8) is there is a good chance the 6 month version will be eliminated in favor of a rolling style release, due to a new package management system that will be part of the unity 8 desktop...

Elfy
October 24th, 2014, 05:11 PM
A big change (thanks to convergence with unity 8) is there is a good chance the 6 month version will be eliminated in favor of a rolling style release, due to a new package management system that will be part of the unity 8 desktop... Anything to back that up? Ubuntu also has to care for flavours needs ;)

sffvba[e0rt
October 24th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Agreed, this has thus far been the best "Ubuntu is ten" article I have read thus far too.

DougieFresh4U
October 25th, 2014, 04:01 AM
I've been around since Breezy Badger 5.10
Loved waiting for my ship-it cd's!
Thanks for sharing.

Kale_Freemon
October 25th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I've been using Ubuntu on and off since 7.04. However, more recently, I've been pretty happy with running Ubuntu pretty much full time. I'll occasionally fire up my Windows 8.1 install, but Ubuntu has made me pretty happy with its 14.04 LTS release. Because of its support of older hardware, and support for 14.04, I'll be sticking with it until the next LTS release. At least, I will on my Macbook.

kostkon
October 25th, 2014, 09:57 AM
Anything to back that up? Ubuntu also has to care for flavours needs ;)
Probably, only for the new click apps (http://mhall119.com/2014/10/unity-8-desktop/).

Elfy
October 25th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Probably, only for the new click apps (http://mhall119.com/2014/10/unity-8-desktop/).

aah yes - I forgot about that thing - thanks :)

craig10x
October 25th, 2014, 06:24 PM
@elfy: sorry i couldn't respond sooner as my cable internet connection was out for 24 hrs...I also recall Mark Shuttleworth commented on the same thing and said that because of it, they could consider eliminating the 6 month version and replace it with a stable core version with constantly updated stuff (as it becomes ready of course)...How it would affect the other versions of ubuntu, i am not sure...but i believe it was said that LTS versions would remain as they are...But from the way Will Cooke (the desktop team manager) describes it, it sure sounds like that at least the main edition of ubuntu would become a "rolling style" release...

Here is one of the articles:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon...p-462117.shtml (http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canonical-Details-Plans-for-Unity-8-Integration-in-Ubuntu-Desktop-462117.shtml)

especially note this paragraph:

You might think that it's just another update to the desktop environment, but Unity 8 is actually more than that. Because of the way Unity 8 is built, users will be able to get the latest version of most of the packages included in the OS right when they are released. They will no longer have to wait for a new version of Ubuntu to get a fresh build of an important application or library.

"Traditionally a given release of Ubuntu has shipped with the versions of the applications available at the time of release. Important updates and security fixes are back-ported to older releases where required, but generally you had to wait for the next release to get the latest and greatest set of applications. The new desktop packaging system means that application developers can push updates out when they are ready and the user can benefit right away," says Will Cooke.

irv
October 25th, 2014, 07:18 PM
craig10x, I got the feeling that Unity 8 was making my laptop feel like a tablet. I do have a touch screen and the touch worked with it, but I agree it is a long way for what we will see in the finial release so for now I am not going to judge it as good or bad, just that I am not sure how I will take to the finial release.
When Unity 7 came out I had mixed feeling but I stayed with it and it grew on me. Change is sometimes hard to except. It's just the way we are. When we get comfortable with something we don't like big changes in our lives.
Thanks for posting the link, I just read it.

craig10x
October 25th, 2014, 08:00 PM
You are very welcome, Irv :)

Although it does look much like a tablet interface at present, that will be changing a lot over the next few cycles, so that by the time it's the default (possibly in 15.10 but not later then 16.04) it will be much more of a desktop style environment....on the desktop version, of course ;)

Regarding getting use to unity originally...yes, i can understand that...although in my case i took to it like a duck to water :mrgreen:
After i left windows (but before discovering linux and ubuntu) i spent a year with the mac...so the "mac-like" aspect of the unity desktop was easy to adopt to...

sudodus
October 25th, 2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks for sharing interesting links :-)

irv
October 26th, 2014, 10:09 PM
Never got into Mac, I always felt they were over priced. I paid under a hundred dollars for my first computer (Atair XL800) then moved up to a ST and a TT 16, 32 bit line of Atari. I learn to code on these machines. Then the first 86X I built myself and built many more after that. I liked the OS's on the Atair, it was TOS a form of DOS, but when it went to ST TT it was designed by Digital Labs the same one that designed the OS for the early Mac. It was a good design but it was not color. That came later. Here is what they looked like.
Can you see the similarities?
I can say I really miss my early days on these old computer learning how to program. They were fun days, but look how far we have come. When I got my first PC that ran Windows 3.0 it never felt right. Windows 95/98 and XP were not much better. I used them but didn't really like them. Then when I tried Unix/Linux my life was never the same. That was just a little over 10 years ago. Yes so I have been on the ride and really loving it.

ukripper
October 27th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Good old days!! Love unity though very responsive and intuitive..

bvanaerde
October 27th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Great article!

I've been using Ubuntu since Warty came out, I still have the Shipit CD somewhere.
The more I used Ubuntu, the more Windows was getting on my nerves. I ended up with a dualboot without ever feeling the need to reboot to "that other OS" :-)

A lot has changed during those 10 years, and I've been mostly happy with the path that Ubuntu chose.
I've backed the Ubuntu Edge project, so needless to say I'm really excited about the upcoming Ubuntu phones! It has been said before, but I do believe this will be another breakthrough for Ubuntu.

irv
October 27th, 2014, 07:28 PM
If I look in my storage I believe I have every CD that Ubuntu came out on. I think I sent for the all. I just can't find it in me to throw any away.

bapoumba
October 27th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I still have the early ones, hoary being my all times favorite, the first one that actually got me to use a desktop, this (now dead) laptop video card was giving problems even with warty.

irv
October 27th, 2014, 08:06 PM
My all time favorite was Lucid Lynx 10.04 I ran it on my desktop, laptop, and server.

/ADM
October 28th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Gutsy Gibbon, first time I got Linux to work with my audio! Oh how times change.

sffvba[e0rt
October 28th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Still think that 10.10 was Ubuntu's 10 out of 10 release. Even had a Top Gun reference in the name... and a Meerkat... I mean, come in :p

mikodo
October 28th, 2014, 06:37 AM
I never got to 10.10. At 10.04, I decided to stay with LTS's. I wonder what it would have been like ...

I did like 10.04 very much. Then, by the time I landed on 12.04, the times were changing for Ubuntu DE's.

That is how I found Xubuntu and tried to let it be like Gnome2, with Nautilus running the desktop, Gnome2 icons, and apps.

Then, people like TOZ and others, showed me how to customize Xfce et al.

I still have 10.04 on disk, fully customized how I liked it, compiz and all. I still enjoy it, when I go into it to update. I just like the nostalgia.

But boy, did I lament the demise of Gnome2 for a while. I've tried Gnome flashback and even Mate but, I now prefer Xfce, with Xfce configs. Go figure.

lisati
October 28th, 2014, 06:52 AM
I've been around since the days of Feisty Fawn (7.04), and used it on a laptop that was donated to a nephew as his first laptop with XP reinstalled on it, together with a now-dead desktop that I later used as a server for a few years. I've still got Feisty CDs from Shipit for Ubuntu and Kubuntu lurking around somewhere, and they came with a video clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7iOKZe9oN8) of Nelson Mandela explaining the Ubuntu concept in the Examples folder.

Irihapeti
October 28th, 2014, 07:05 AM
I also joined in mid 2007 when Feisty was the latest and greatest. No ShipIt CDs, but an ISO included in the PCWorld magazine DVD (courtesy of a small-town supermarket). I ran dialup for about 18 months.

Yes, things have changed since then. I don't have to compile the wireless driver on my netbook every time there's a kernel update. I think we have more choices of DE as well. I have my preferences, but I think I'm adaptable enough to handle any of them, just so long as my slightly older machines are up to it.

irv
October 29th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I have enjoyed reading the post in this thread and see the best thing about Ubuntu is choice. We have the freedom to chose not only our OS but also or DE. This is a good thing because we all are not made the same. Most OS' want to put you in a box and think we should all act and do things the same. We are not made that way. If you look and a Windows or Mac user they all do things the same. Same file manager, same Desktop, Same menus, etc. But if you look at a Linux user's machine, they for the most part all look different.
Another thing is you can do things with the GUI or a prompt in the terminal. Yes, there is a learning curve, but I always found learning fun. There is something about discovering something new or learning how to do something old a better way.
I think that this is what gets people hooked on Linux. I know there are power users in Windows, (I was one of them) but for the most part Windows users are leading a boring life.
My Ubuntu laptop's motherboard went bad and I am having it replaced. Meanwhile I had to borrow a Windows laptop to do my everyday stuff and I am even posting this from that laptop. All I can say is I sure miss my Ubuntu.

Linuxratty
October 29th, 2014, 11:51 PM
I've been around since the days of Feisty Fawn (7.04), .

I started with Linspire,then moved to Kubuntu's Feisty Fawn. I had a brief tango with Mepis and Fedora and back to Ubuntu.
Even though I'm using ElementaryOS,well it's still based on Ubuntu. I see no reason to change.