PDA

View Full Version : Disable texting while driving?

Penguin360
October 23rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
I was wondering if the phone manufacturers or auto makers can make the phone or car smart enough that when you enter the car, your phone will be disabled from texting, or at least when your speed is above some pre-defined limit, your phone will be disabled from texting. I am tired of those people texting while driving.

ian-weisser
October 23rd, 2014, 03:15 PM
Smart enough to discriminate between drivers, passengers, and passers-by?
No.

A lot of injuries and damage from low-speed collisions, too.

tgalati4
October 23rd, 2014, 03:23 PM
ATT loaded an app on my phone during a "system" update that included such an app. The phone could detect when you were moving above 35 mph and then locked up the phone tight. Killed the battery life as well. I turned it off, since it seemed to be an annoyance and shortened battery life to only a few hours. But driving and texting is dangerous and illegal in some states, like California.

Warren Hill
October 23rd, 2014, 03:43 PM
I think we need education rather than technology for this. You don't want to stop all texting in a car just the driver.

You may like this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=HbjSWDwJILs) where a group of Belgian learners were told that texting and driving was now part of the test.

cariboo
October 24th, 2014, 01:53 AM
Here in British Columbia there is a $167.00 fine if you are caught texting while driving. Plus 3 penalty points which could cost another $175.00 when you re-new your drivers license.

Kale_Freemon
October 24th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Here in British Columbia there is a $167.00 fine if you are caught texting while driving. Plus 3 penalty points which could cost another $175.00 when you re-new your drivers license.

In Oregon, you could be facing more than just a fine. You could also be facing potential jail time.

buzzingrobot
October 24th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Insurance companies could easily balk at paying claims when an insured was texting-while-driving.

Phone capability built into a car could easily be disabled under a variety of condidtions, if manufacturers chose to.

I wonder if Near Field Communications tech could be leveraged to disable texting apps on a phone located in a 'bubble' surrounding the driver's position?

WinEunuchs2Unix
October 27th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I think the solution partly lies in registered car owner (engine running) + registered cell phone owner (text or talking active) = zoom in CCTV / surveillance camera @ target.

Personally I'm agnostic and treat this as a philosophical / technical question. OTOH I have noticed lots of bad drivers over the last 18 months and did purchase some high-viz outerwear yesterday.

ian-weisser
October 27th, 2014, 03:23 AM
As with many other lousy-judgement activities, often the most effective and cheapest solution is peer pressure.
If your peer group threatens to ostracize you for gross uncoolness, you are less likely to do it.